Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Roland EP-97 which has operated beautifully for 16

I have a Roland EP-97 which has operated beautifully for 16 years. Recently I stood it on end to move it, and when I set it up again, it produced no sound. The power turns on and off but there is no sound from the keys, the demo, the rhythm, anything. I opened the back and found a couple of pennies which had slipped in between the keys, which slid around as I moved the keyboard. I thought maybe they had knocked a wire loose - I'm not electronics-savvy but from what I can tell, none of the circuits or contacts seem to be damaged. I would appreciate any suggestions for troubleshooting. Thank you - Ginger F.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have also tried adjusting the volume, checked the headphone jack, and toggled the Local on/off setting, with no success.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Those pennies may have caused the problem. Or similar metal debris loose inside the keyboard may have caused it.

As they slid about, if they shorted out something, circuit damage could (I am sorry to say) have taken place.

I advise you to first of all, make quite sure there are no other pennies, paper-clips, loose fragments of anything of metal, etc. in the circuitry anywhere.

Then check all fuses esp. the main power fuse (unless the keyboard otherwise shows every sign of life).

After that... if no imprvement can be had... please tell me the age of your EP-97, and also your local zip code or town/city and state. And I will advise you further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Russell, thank you for your response.
I have cleared all foreign objects, including a few dust bunnies, from inside the keyboard.
Is there a schematic for identifying the fuses? I really don't want to be pulling on something that shouldn't be pulled.
The keyboard appears to be working other than the lack of sound: the power indicator light and all other lights respond appropriately when the correct buttons are pushed.
I will check the age of the keyboard.

OK so far. Well done.

A schematic is not readily available. There may be a service manual, and I will seek one, or a source for one (hopefully free.)

Do you have electronics tools (i.e. soldering iron, volt meter, at minimum) ? and skills, I might also ask...

The audio amplifier is either disabled (possibly by a settings change?) or else is 'broken' - probably by those pennies getting across some components and frying something, and I really hope not.

To make sure it isn't just a (spontaneous?) settings change that is disabling audio:

First, check that the MIDI settings are Off. MIDI Out enabled, sometimes disables speaker audio.

Second, check that the headphone or earphone function is (or isn't?) producing sound.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We think we purchased this particular keyboard in the mid-80's - we've had a few in the family and shared them around.
Unfortunately I don't have the electronics background or tools necessary to do any repairs myself.
I've checked the MIDI settings, and the headphone jack. Still no sound.
Any luck finding a schematic?

There is a dubious source for a schematic, but it has no download link to the document you're seeking, just false links.

This site seems to list the EP-97, but it seems to lead nowhere:

http://www.manuals.altervista.org/ServiceManual.html

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't get anywhere with that link, either. Okay, well, it looks like I'll need to take it in for repair, then. Thank you for your suggestions, Russell. Do you happen to have access to a listing of repair shops in my area? ZIp code is 95831.

OK, I am looking them up with that zip code information, and thanks for providing it... expect me to post again with results (hopefully!) within 20 minutes, or less, depending upon difficulty.

There are two in your zip code region in central California:

RAINBOW ELECTRONICS

*****STE 5
SACRAMENTO, CA 95841
(916)(###) ###-####/strong>

• Carry-in service on Roland and BOSS products

KEYBOARD ELECTRONICS

PO BOX 821
ROCKLIN, CA 95677
(916)(###) ###-####/strong>

• In-home service on eligible Roland home pianos

and also these farther away:

CAMPS ORGAN SERVICE

*****br />LIVERMORE, CA 94550
(925)(###) ###-####/strong>

Roland Factory Service

2530 E Lindsay Privado Unit A
Ontario, CA 91761

(###) ###-####/p>

MUSICIANS SERVICE CE

*****br />SAN JOSE, CA 95126
(408)(###) ###-####/strong>

C A E SOUND

285 N AMPHLETT BLVD
SAN MATEO, CA 94401
(650)(###) ###-####/strong>

UNION GROVE MUSIC

*****br />SANTA CRUZ, CA 95060
(831)(###) ###-####/strong>

or rather far to the south:

CARDOZA ELECTRONICS

1034 E GRIFFITH WAY
FRESNO, CA 93704
(559)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that one of these can provide help. (If none can, let me know... there may be more help I can offer in that hopefully unlikely case.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

Thanks. And good luck with your Roland keyboard.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Russell,
Thank you for your help. Sorry for the delay in responding - I've been out of town with no wifi.
I appreciate your assistance.
Ginger

I hope that my listings did indeed include one shop that could - and did - help with the problem. If not, I have not done enough, Ginger.

But I'm glad to hear your praise for my assistance! Thanks.