Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Safe has always opened since I have owned it. I have owned

Customer Question
my safe for at least...
Safe has always opened since I have owned it. I have owned my safe for at least 5 years. I use the key to open the push in button and enter the the 5 digit combination. and the I press the enter button and I see the unlock display but the lever eo open will not work?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I am checking. one moment OA3810, AV92575
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: jUST STARTED TODAY I OPENED IT ABOUT A WEEK AGO. I don't know what kind of trouble shooting I should do?
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
11/3/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you are sure that your safe is having the correct code entered, and that its batteries are still OK, then try entering the code again, only with your ear against the safe door near the latch. Does an audible click sound?

If so, your lock is in A-OK status, except for one thing: the latch has gotten stuck or jammed up a bit.

Rattle the latch a bit, to see if you can jostle it loose (not too roughly though, unless you want to break the safe.)

If that doesn't get it to open up, then you will have to try lock lubricant, or safe lubricant.

This is a silicone powder (and please note, any grease or oil or WD-40 or the like will gum up the lock and you will have more problems again soon with opening it! do not use anything but special silicone powder lock lubricant or safe lubricant.) It may be bought at most good hardware stores.

You blow a little powder lubricant into the crack between the door and the body of the safe, roughly where the latch is located. Then wait a bit, about an hour or two. Then try entering the code again and using the latch to open the safe.

If this doesn't work, then tell me, how old is the safe? if it is quite old and has never been lock-lubricated, it may simply be 'broken', unfortunately.

Russell H., Service Tech