John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

Okay. So I ended up having to reset the piano several times,

Customer Question

Okay. So I ended up having to reset the piano several times, and it seemed like the pedal issue had been fixed. It only lasted for a few weeks, though. So I did as you suggested and contacted a Yamaha service dealer. She wasn't able to help me as the parts for this model are no longer available. I dont want to give up, and I bought the repair manual for it online. It may as well be in a different language, for all I can understand if it. Can you help me decipher if there is anything I can do?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com, and thanks for directing your question to me again. My name is (of course) Russell H. And, I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

OK, let me know what is incomprehensible, and I will translate if at all possible!

And, if you know what parts the dealership found 'no longer available' then I might possibly be able to locate them... it's just a thought.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay so you remember that my sustaining pedal no longer holds the notes as long as it did before, and you thought it was the potentiometer, but we didn't find anything adjustable. So I'm going to try to send you the manual and see if there's anything to try.

OK.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hmm, the file is too big, it's almost 9 MB. Any other way I can send it to you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Its a PDF

Try sending it to***@******.*** - unless the problem is that you cannot send a file that large with your email, in which case, see if

www.filedropper.com

will accept it... for free, that is. (There are other means of posting a file for me to look over, if filedropper.com charges a premium fee for that size of file.... so there's no need to pay if they do.)

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just sent it to support.justanswer.com

OK, good to hear that. Thank you for making that effort.

(It may take several hours for it to get to me - not to criticize in the least the personnel behind***@******.***. It's simply that it usually takes about that long for me to receive a file sent in that manner. So I hope you're OK with the necessary delay.)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It came back saying the file size was too large. Gmail usually lets me send 10 mb files, so is it on your end? If I used filedropper, would I just use that same email to get it to you?

With

www.filedropper.com

you do not have to register, you do not have to use an email.

Just post the file - if it will allow such a large upload - then it will display a

URL

address for the file's posting. Reply to me with that URL, and I can download the file. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
https://filedropper.com/filemanager/public.php?service=files&t=c2903dc9ac05c8e802e56a7c7b60d74c
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if that gets to you okay.

Thanks... it seems to be downloading fine now, though it will take a little while.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any update on this?

None yet, to be quite honest.

To remind me, please make a brief response.

I will work on it further this evening (Eastern Time). I hope that's OK.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

I regret to say that I have no really good news from my perusal of the service manual.

There is a 'pedal board', but it appears to have only one adjustment on it, for the volume of the damper pedal... the sostenuto pedal (if that's the one you think is not working) has no adjustment.

There appears to be no adjustment for sostenuto... the pedal simply acts while it is depressed, and ceases acting when it is released. That is its function (there's a way to test this, in a test program that the service manual goes through for a bit). If you were expecting it to act like a strings-and-sounding-board piano's pedal, which may prolong notes even after the pedal is released again (unless dampers cut off the note at that point!) well, it isn't supposed to have any delay or prolongation past the time when that (sostenuto) pedal is depressed.

But I'm not sure which of the three pedals you were concerned about - ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, so there are 3 pedals, from left to right they are the soft pedal, the sostenuto pedal, and the sustaining pedal, also called the damper pedal. I never use the soft pedal or the sostenuto pedal. It is the sustaining, or damper pedal that needs adjusting. Does that help? Would it help to replace the pedal board?

Ah, that's different!

Does the third (damper pedal) not work?

Or does it just have the wrong volume when you step on it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know if I would necessarily call it volume, just length of duration. When it works properly, it makes the sound prolonged. It is not prolonging the sound as long as it should, kind of cutting it short.

There is, I think, an adjustment on the pedal board, for that pedal.

My impression, while looking over the service manual, was that the adjustment was for volume.

(Does the sound cut short, once you let go of the pedal?)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does.

Allow me to review what I saw about the third (right-hand-most?) pedal in the service manual...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know if this will help, but I was playing my piano yesterday and when I re-set the piano, by holding down the topmost key and turning on the power, it makes it so the pedal works the way it should for about 10-15 seconds. A few months ago, when I reset it a few times, it worked properly for a few weeks. It's almost like it's a battery that keeps losing time every time it's charged. ?????

I confess I don't yet know what to make of that, but it is interesting.

In the Service Manual page 31 shows that there is a 'damper volume adjustment'. Maybe, just maybe, tweaking that might help.

Specifically, that adjustment is on the Pedal VR board.

There's a test procedure that includes that pedal, but it basically just tests whether the pedal switch senses the pedal, and not much else.

Is PEDAL (a setting) ON when the pedal is being used?

The pedal circuit board could be replaced, if we could locate a source for it. That would involve taking the whole 'stand' part off the keyboard part, then disassembling the stand to get at the pedal board. But I suspect that ultimately the pedal board doesn't do more than signal that the pedal(s) is/are depressed, and the fault is not there.

It might be a fault in a major circuit board of some expensiveness, but I'm not even sure of that.

I confess I cannot see what to do. Taking this case to a Yamaha Authorized Service Center might be most wise... but that decision is decidedly up to you.

If I can advise you on any point or option (including the choice of local Y. A. Svc. Centers) let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will you tell me how I could go about adjusting the damper volume?

That would require, as I said, disassembly to the point where the inner workings of the pedal assembly were accessible.

That would involve taking the whole 'stand' part off the keyboard part, then disassembling the stand to get at the pedal board.

The service manual does, by and large, show how to do that... in verbal summary, very summarized:

- unplug

- set on side

- un-do the connection to the legs of the stand-and-pedals part.

- further disassemble, taking case off the pedal assembly, exposing the potentiometer that adjusts the damper volume.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, what do I do after that?

Turn the damper volume adjustment one way - or the other.

With the pedals still hooked up to the keyboard part, temporarily while disassembled, see if that improves or worsens the problem.

Then turn it the other way if the problem worsens.

After which a repair shop might be able to help.

Note: I am not sure that the adjustment for the pedal volume requires the stand be disassembled... but the service manual does not suggest otherwise.

I suggest that you examine the area to one side of the three pedals, for a round hole, possibly labeled as the damper pedal adjustment, through which the adjustment might be made, making it unnecessary to disassemble the base and the pedal case.