Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My telephone rings and when I answer goes to engaged ring

Customer Question
tone and the same for...
My telephone rings and when I answer goes to engaged ring tone and the same for calling out. Help please!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
10/12/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. Yes. 2. No. 3. No. 4. No. 5. 4gcqa016406. Model no. Kx-tg2723alm

These aren't all yes/no questions. Who provides your phone service?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Optus Australia

Thank you.

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.
The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results

Do you need more help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thanks

Can you let me know the results of the tests I asked you to do? The purpose of that was to reset your panasonic, and if that didn't work then it indicates a line fault which the phone company would need to resolve.

Nathan, Engineer