Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My mom recently purchased a Panasonic phone. I tried setting

Customer Question
My mom recently purchased a...
My mom recently purchased a Panasonic phone. I tried setting it up yesterday and everything was working fine, however the answering machine will NOT pickup calls after the programmed number of rings.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: brand new
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just tried setting it up yesterday. I read
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/30/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks

You're welcome, can you give me a bit more info (above questions), please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, I do not wish you to call me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do you want to know?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not having any trouble with the handsets, it's the base answering machine that does not answer after the number of programmed rings is completed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 phones came in the package. there is no fax or anything else. just a landline

Thank you for clarifying.

Okay so what happens when someone does call you?
Does it just ring endlessly? Or does it pick up (what the callers hear) but you aren't getting the messages?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it rings endlessly.

Okay looking at the main base, do you see a button that says ANS ON/OFF, please press that, once, and you should see a little red light come on. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that light is on

Okay please unplug power to the main base as well as phone line, for 5 minutes, to do a quick reset, replug, then test calling it from your cell phone to see if it picks up. If not press that button once more, and test again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I'll try that. I'm at home now, she doesn't have Wi-Fi or any Internet access. Is there anything else you could advise to do since I'll have to go over to her home to test the phone?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you there??

Yes I'm here, sorry was giving you some time to do the reset and didn't see your message come through.

She can do the unplug for now if possible herself, that is the best first step.

Were you able to test this?

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.