Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Can not get the remote or the dvd recorder in sync. the

Customer Question

can not get the remote or the dvd recorder in sync.
the recorder comes up with lin 1 on video or dv on the screen and the remote now will do nothing to control have tried the enter + 1, +2 and +3 severial times with no results
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

What specific remote is it you're trying to use here - is it the original one that came with the player, or a universal or cable remote?

Additionally, how long have you owned the Sony for and when did the issue occur?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Is the Sony the only thing connected to your TV right now? If not, does the TV display other sources as it should (cable/SAT box, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is the original remote, and the only thing connected is a Sanyo television
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. So just to clarify, the player only shows a white screen on the TV and nothing else?

To make sure the issue is even the player and not the TV itself, can you please try hitting the MENU button on the Sanyo TV, or it's original remote? Offhand it's hard to tell what is causing the issue if you only have a white screen.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it shows the av1 if it is set to video i believe
and dv if it is set to dvd and i can not use the remote to re-set it
it starts up in the dv mode it worked yesterday at my sisters but the dvd i recorded there did not show anything but a black screen when in dvd play mode, if you set to video it shows av1 and in dvd it shows no disc or tape in unit
and then the screen is somewhat white like it is attempting to show the menu screen
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to get some basic info so I can tell you how to proceed. This is troubleshooting. Or if you'd prefer we could try a shotgun approach which may or may not work. For the latter, shut your TV off and unplug the Sony player from power. While it's unplugged, disconnect and reconnect it's HDMI cable on both ends making sure it's secure, then plug the player back in. Power it up and let me know exactly what the TV shows on the screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have done that a couple of times it is just on the video, connection and the sound left and right
not on a hdmi cable
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well when you did that then what exactly displayed on the TV screen.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to opt out at this point. The question is open for others to view.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unplugged the unit and powered back up it goes directly to dv screen but cant control it from there with the remote,
have removed batteries, pushed all buttons twice, installed new batteries and still cant control anything with the remote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disappointing i going to have to pay for no answer what so ever that resolves nothing?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us, a little more info please; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Sony. Something like an RDR-VX560, or an RDR-HXD560.

With the TV set to DVD, what happens if a DVD disc is loaded and made to PLAY using the player's front panel controls (not the remote)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rdr-vx560/bc, inserted a standard dvd and it plays fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i gave up for a little while to eat supper, now i guess it will be delayed again, have googled myself to death today with all this sorry if i seemed short.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

It would appear then that the issue is (now) limited to the remote ability to control the RDR-VX560.

For test purposes...

There is a partial test to confirm if the old remote is working or not. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.

No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.

On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself or a compatibility issue.

Please post back results of camera test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just for the record it still goes to dv, i have no dv camera, so i cannot do anything, and as noted previously the remote will do nothing now worked good yesterday, and i could access the menu this morning after it sat all night not connected at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no camera to even try this test, I only have some small tapes and a VHS adapter. Trying to convert to DVD. The one disk I did make yesterday was only a black screen all the way through... so brought the unit to my house to continue trying to dub and convert tapes to DVD.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please re-confirm; "...inserted a standard dvd and it plays fine...". The audio & video when playing back is as expected from the Sanyo TV.

Turn OFF the Sony (but keep it still plugged in). On the front panel of the RDR-VX650. Press and hold the STOP button. Note and post back what is displayed on the Sony's small screen.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will not be able to resolve anything during working hours central time tomorrow, or wednesday, am having a surgical procedure wednesday morning. can only attempt to correct this issue tomorrow evening unless it corrects itself tomorrow after sitting unconnected tomorrow most of the day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dvd-1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DVD 1
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me time to compose my reply.

Even if have been tried on the original Sony remote control, please:

• press and hold the ENTER button of the remote;
  • while still pressing/holding on the ENTER button, press and hold the 1 button;
  • maintain press/hold of both buttons for at least 3 seconds;
  • release both buttons;
  • press RETURN.
  • press the INPUT button to select any other source other than DV.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

And have you tried playing a regular VHS tape?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pressing the buttons as instructed, you see "sp" i hit retrun and then hit input and nothing else happens it is still on DV waiting to load a disc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried to do the same thing in video and the sp screen still shows up and cant change anything still menu still not showing up.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried playing a regular VHS tape? ...and does it show on the TV as expected?

Can you turn Off and then On the RDR-VX560 using the remote control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try real quick but i think using the front panel it will work fine also
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please using the remote; this is actually a test of the remote's functionality.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it starts fine..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the remotes willl not stop the vhs playing now
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, got confusing replies.

So, the remote does not work with the RDR-VX560?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no remote does not control either one the dvd you press play on the front of the unit and it will play
the vhs starts automatically when inserted
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, let's try again:

• is the remote able to control the RDR-VX560?
  • if no, can you please re-try the ENTER and 1?
  • is the DVD movie shown on the TV?
  • is the VHS video shown on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is not able control the player at all
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

"...no it is not able control the player at all..."; have you checked/replaced the batteries? ...and then re-tried the ENTER & 1?

...and:

• is the DVD movie shown on the TV?
  • is the VHS video shown on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as noted previously, if i insert a dvd i can press play on the front of the unit, the dvd plays correctly with sound
when i inserted a tape it went to play automatically and picture and sound is fine
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Then as posted above, "...It would appear then that the issue is (now) limited to the remote ability to control the RDR-VX560..."

Please click HERE on steps to test the remote control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well using my camera i see no change in the emitter, so i assume the remote has failed since this morning...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

If the remote has failed the test even with new batteries, then yes; most likely it was intermittent and the fault was earlier just developing. It has now completely failed.;

If of interest, a new remote may be inquired HERE or even from HERE.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well replaces the batteries again and now i see a red indication on the remote emitter. very low color red
how can the remote be set to the original factory settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
creepy now the remote did turn on the player
but still not able to get it to go to the menu , unplugged the unit and will see what it does
it started up but still went to dv
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The description of "...very low color red..." is a bit concerning. Are the batteries new?

That it is able to turn on the player would now indicate that it is synced and functional.

Pressing the MENU, is there a resulting light on the camera test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes, batteries are new.

Yes, there is a blinking light on the camera's screen with the MENU button pressed.

What is displayed when the INPUT button is pressed please? ...pressed a couple of times?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing is displayed when input is pressed on camera test, the emitter does show red,
i put another set of batteries in to re-test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry miss lead you the camera test shows that the input is working
but when aimed at the dvd/vcr nothing happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the screen is still setting on the dv mode
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please re-try:

• turn OFF the Sony (but keep it still plugged in). On the front panel of the RDR-VX650 press and hold the STOP button. Note if DVD 1 is still displayed on the Sony's small screen
  • if yes, press and hold the ENTER button of the remote;
  • release both buttons;
  • press RETURN.
  • press the MENU and then INPUT buttons a couple of times to test if it works with the RDR-VX560.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope initially you see sp holding the buttons,
return and then pressing system menu does not work or neither does the input
the screen still just shows the dv starting screen, and there is an enter key on the bottom of that screen a move key and a input key but will not move to them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i truly am giving up tonight i have been fighting this since about 9 this morning except for a couple of hours
will remove power from it tonight and see what happens tomorrow after work may try to contact you again, may just go buy my sister another unit.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand and sorry that only the remote has been addressed for the time being.

And yes please, post back with an update when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thanks appreciate the help
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Cheers.