Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I can't get my Garmin GPS to turn on, I haven't had it more

Customer Question
I can't get my Garmin...
I can't get my Garmin GPS to turn on
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I haven't had it more than two years. It's anuvi 55 lm
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: don't use it. I need to go to Atlanta and it's out in my car charging I hope?
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: guess not?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
9/24/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 year ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHEN was the last time the device was used SUCCESSFULLY?

2) HOW LONG has the device been attached in the car - to charge?

Please use the REPLY box below.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used it last December with no problem
It's. Been in the car for about an hour.

OK - does your car need the Ignition turned ON - to allow the power socket(s) to supply power? (some cars require that).

If you have a BRIGHT LED INDICATOR on the plug in portion of the charger, you should be OK. So did you see that LED come ON BRIGHT?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ignition is on, but I don't see any kind of red light.

OK - it would be in the adapter itself - where you plug into the power socket. You may want to look at both sides to see if that LED light is there. (some vehicle adapters do NOT have that LED).

By the way, MOST of the original vehicle power adapters look like the one shown in the following link - where the LED is actually GREEN.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/cables/vehicle-power-cable/prod112879_010-11838-00.html#gallery-dialog

Let me know if you are NOT using the original adapter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mine would be green and it us the original. The light is not on.

OK - that means that you will want to TEST the power socket - with a different device (such as a cell phone charger, etc.) - to make sure the power socket itself is supplying power.

Also, there is a FUSE in the tip of the power adapter that may need to be checked. I have a diagram of how that is done attached. You MAY have to click the attachment NAME to view it.

Also, you CAN "charge" (but not operate) the unit when attached to a computer USB port (via USB cable) - and the computer is powered ON. It will take LONGER than the vehicle adapter, but that will tell us if the device WILL charge (or not).

Please let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I must go. Thanks for your help. I will continue to phone. The person I am picking up.

Very good.

One last thing: once connected to a "known good" (working) power source, you can expect AT LEAST 20 minutes of "charge time" - before the device will come on. Either pushing and HOLDING the power switch (for about 30 seconds) with the power connected OR disconnected will hopefully allow it to come on.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer