John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

Hp model 11-n010dx computer message "selected boot image did

Customer Question

hp model 11-n010dx computer message "selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press to continue... When I press enter, computer shuts down. Please help
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suggest turning Off the computer.

Waiting 15 minutes or longer.

Then turning it On, and then pressing the F8 key on the keyboard, about once a second, until the Safe Mode selection screen comes up.

Let me know how that goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I've tried it twice and nothing happens.... the message still comes up
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I think that I need to ask next: Have any alterations been made to this ultrabook? or is it as it came from the factory?

Has it been dropped, or otherwise mishandled, at any time?

How old is the computer in question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the computer is about a year old. I did not drop or mishandled it. I did try to download something, can't remenber what... the computer is as it came from the factory.... I have not changed or altered it... Is there a way to restore it back by pushing a button?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot access Safe Mode - and you have indeed tried to, several times and two different ways - then you may have a crucial point on your hands:

- was the computer bought less than 1 year ago?

- or was it more than a year ago?

- and, do you have the receipt, or at least credit card records of the purchase date?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the records for this computer, it might be over a year old, I have alot of computers.... Too hard to remember.... Let's say it is a year old.. What should I do now?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then it is out of warranty unfortunately, and if it is taken to a repair shop for this problem, the charges will be on you.

Otherwise, contacting HP and putting in a failed-within-warranty claim on it would be the right thing to do.

There is one other choice to try, though:

- go into the BIOS Setup.

- see if the right Hard Disk is selected as the Boot Device. Make sure it is so selected. It's a marginal possible cause of this sort of error, as opposed to hard drive corruption or hard drive failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I go to the BIOS Setup if it won't let me do anything?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Try this:

turn the computer On, and immediately press the F10 key, repeatedly, until you get into the BIOS Setup.

Be careful with Setup values. They can disable your computer somewhat, if the choices are wrong. Just go to

Boot Order

or similar settings, and tell me what you see there, as to the current settings values.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the computer will not let me go there .... the F8 and F10 keys are useless.... I even tried ctrl + alt + del nothing
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

You have to have just turned On the computer that very moment, for the F10 key (or the F8 key, to a lesser extent) to work properly.

Also look for any power-on message on the screen that might tell you what this model has for a BIOS or SETUP option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the F!0 got me to setup utility
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Is there a Boot Up or Boot Devices section?

If so, go to that section, and read off the current settings to me, without changing them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the menu is stuck on Main, "Exit Saving Changes?" blue box is on and either yes or no is my option.... I cannot select System Configuration... the left and right arrows only work on the yes or no buttons
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Choose "No."

Try to get into Setup again, and look at the bottom of the screen when you're in it, for a guide as to which keys do what in the Setup screens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I choose no the computer shuts off... there is another window to the right with "F" keys... should I try them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hit no and the computer did not shut off
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If there is any guide as to what the F keys do... let me know what you propose to do.

You're just supposed to navigate in the SETUP - once you are in it - to the Boot Order, or Boot Devices, area.

And tell me what is listed there currently, without changing anything yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see Boot options
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lets talk on the phone
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright, let's work this out....I'm at the Sys Conf Box, what should I do now?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I can't see what you're looking at.

BIOS Setups vary a lot. So I need to know where you are in some detail.

Is there a highlight bar?

Can you navigate through the Setup screens OK?

Can you get to the place where the Boot Options are set up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a highlight bar, I can navigate, I am at the Boot Options
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Is the Hard Disk C: Drive

or similar entry

at the top of the Boot Options. Or, what is at the top of the current Boot Options?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is at the bottom of the screen a section that is called, "Legacy Boot Order" ...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hm.

Don't choose Legacy Boot Order just yet.

Does your BIOS Setup screen have any sort of identifier, like 'Phoenix BIOS' or 'Setup version such-and-such', at the top or in the corner, to identify what we are working with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the top of the screen, it says InsydeH20 Setup Utility... the first item under Boot Options, "POST Hotkey Delay (sec) " there is a line that says, "Load HP Factory Default Keys"
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information.

The Hotkey setting is irrelevant

The Factory Default Keys is irrelevant.

I'm looking up info on InsydeH20....

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Is there a Load Legacy option?

Is there a UEFI Bootup option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a Legacy support that is disabled
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a UEFI at Network Boot Protocol
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If there's an UEFI Bootup option, enable it.

If there's a Load Legacy option, what is its full name?

Can you see a Boot Order anywhere?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Note: do not enable Network Bootup. You don't need it, and it will get in the way.

In fact, *if* Network Bootup is enabled, then change that: Disable it. That might be the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave now , the network bootup does not have a enable choice
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Does it have a Disable choice?

If you are done with this case, please rate my answer. If you want to resume this later, though, that's fine. Go to

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/9vu4q-hp-model-11-n010dx-computer-message-selected-boot-image.html

to take up the case again.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go to the place you entered when I get back... Thank you very much for you time.... Hope I can get back to you
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. You will be able to rejoin this case, I'm pretty sure. Thanks.