Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Cannot receive fm radio on my Carver 900 amp. I have a

Customer Question
Cannot receive fm radio on...
Cannot receive fm radio on my Carver 900 amp. I have a strong signal with a Terk antenna. Sound sometimes goes on for a few seconds but I lose it. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
8/27/2016
Electronics Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

If this doesn't do the trick our next step will be to try charging it for a bit and then trying once more to turn it on.

There are three ways to charge the internal battery in your automotive GPS device.
1.Use the provided vehicle power cable that came with your GPS device. The device will charge while powered-on and using the device, as well as when the GPS device is powered off and plugged into a running vehicle.
2.Use an AC power adapter. Some devices come with this power cable to plug the GPS device into a wall outlet allowing the GPS device to take a charge.
3.For most devices, the final way of charging the battery is to plug the GPS into a powered-on computer with a USB cable. Note: Note: The Quest, Quest 2, and nuviCamLMTHD will not charge using a USB cable. This method of charging will be a trickle charge and it may take longer than the other two options, however it will still charge the battery. A full charge via USB may take as long as 8-12 hours. A USB cable is provided with certain GPS models.
For devices that do not come with this cable, one can be purchased from Garmin's online store.
NOTES: All devices will come with a suction cup mount and vehicle power cable to charge the device. However, only some models come with an AC power cable and/or a USB cable. If either cable did not come with the device, they can be purchased from Garmin or Garmin's dealers. To purchase one from Garmin, please visit the Garmin website at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/
Garmin only recommends using an AC power charger that is purchased from Garmin. Third-party cables may not charge the nuvi. The message "Attached power cable cannot charge device. Please use the cable provided with your device" may display on the device if using a third-party charger or third-party USB adapter, etc.
Please note that temperature can play an effect on the charging of a device. If the battery registers a temperature of 0°C (32°F) and below or 45°C (113°F) and above, it will not charge. When connected to external power, it will only be operating off of external power.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not an auto stereo. It's my home stereo. My Carver 900 is a multiplex.

I apologize Ronald. This answer was the 2nd part of an answer to a completely different question. I am not sure how or why it was posted on this page. I will opt out so another expert can assist while I continue working with the previous computer. Thank you for your patience! Have a great day!

Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Ronald, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and the only easy user doable try is to temporarily replace the current FM antenna for test purposes. Any length of electrical wire would do the job. If symptom persist, then it would be an internal hardware issue.

Please post back how things turned up and/or should additional information be needed.

Louie, Technician