Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I just replaced the lamp but now the TV is turning itself

Customer Question
off every 5 minutes....
I just replaced the lamp but now the TV is turning itself off every 5 minutes. I suspect the fan needs cleaning but cannot find location of two fans in manual. Can you tell me where they are
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: PT 50DL 54J
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Searching on line for customer's with similar problems. Same question, user said check fan
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
8/27/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) If the set wasn't shutting down like this until you replaced the lamp, then I need to ask you where you purchased this lamp from and for how much?

2) When it shuts itself of, what are the LED indicators on the front of the set doing? Please describe each light, it's color and whether it's blinking or steady.

3) What were the symptoms the TV had BEFORE you replaced the lamp?

Do you need assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Purchased from Lampedia who I have used before.Before replacing lamp, I would get a message to replace lamp that stayed on the screen for about 3 minutes. Then it would shut itself down. The first shutoff occurred about 1 hour after turning TV and and then shutoffs became increasingly closer together.Tonight the button would turn from steady green to flashing yellow. I then used remote to get back to flashing green rather than let the TV turn itself off.

No thank you on the phone call.

There's two lights on this TV- the Temp LED and the Lamp LED.

Tell me specifically which LED is doing what when the set shuts down please.

Sorry, there's actually three- there's also the Lamp LED. These all indicate codes, so if you can tell me what each is doing when it shuts down, I can look them up directly and tell you what is wrong.

Are you still with me here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was expecting a call then got text so have been running around trying to figure out how you communicating. After turning TV no lights are blinking
Electronics Technician: Martin, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Martin, Engineer

Hi. Usually that happen to let you the time to reset the hours counter on the TV/Projector. I think this is the model of lamp you need and the associated hour reset procedure:

ftp.panasonic.com/.../om/ty-la2004_en_om.pdf

Martin, Engineer