Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Our panamax box behind our screen has started emitting a

Customer Question
loud buzzing that won't stop...
Our panamax box behind our screen has started emitting a loud buzzing that won't stop until we turn it off.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: We just returned from vacation so not sure. was intermittent yesterday and constant this morning. we did use the TV last night with no problems
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: not sure maybe 5 years or more ID TC P60GT50 serial MH21790120
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not a thing
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/23/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) Do you know which model Panamax you have?

2) Roughly how old is it please?

3) Is it still providing power to the connected equipment?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think around 5 years old ID TC P60GT50Yes, power until we turn off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says Max Flat Panel on the panamax box behind the screen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get my online reply?

Thanks yes, I wasn't referring to the TV- the Panamax is a power conditioner that is purchased separately. Please tun the Panamax back on and place your hand on the top of it and see if the buzzing goes away please.

Also check to see if that buzzing is coming from the Panamax itself or your TV. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the buzzing doesn't stop when I put my hand on it. Def from the panamax box

Okay, that box contains passive and active components that filter out the AC line from your wall to send clean power to your TV, and other connected devices. If the box is buzzing it indicates that components are failing/drifting out of spec in the box and this always leads to a failure (drop in voltage or sudden cut in voltage) from the box. Unfortunately, it will ultimately fail and can cause possible failures downstream with your connected equipment. As it is not cost effective to repair these devices, a replacement would be the solution here. There are many different Panamax models available- ranging from around $70 all the way to over $500. The expensive ones are generally not needed unless your home's AC power fluctuates greatly. There are several at the link below for purchase and I typically go with the $70-$150 units for the best cost-effectiveness:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=panamax&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

This one in particular is a good bargain and provides effective filtering without breaking the bank:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panamax-8-outlet-power-conditioner-surge-protector-gray/9518284.p?id=1218118593376&skuId=9518284

Other than that I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
box says 2015 1013
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm leaving if you're not there

I just posted a lengthy reply at the same time you sent your last one. Please scroll up the page to read it. Thank you.

Are you able to see my reply?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Would a new one be a simple installation or is programming involved?

You're welcome. There is no programming involved- it is "plug and play".

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.

Aric, Technician