John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

You helped me yesterday with my security camera dvr system.

Customer Question

Hi Russell. You helped me yesterday with my security camera dvr system. You told me to replace the hard drive. So I replaced the hard drive and the camera is playing but it won't record. I need to format the hard drive but it won't format.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. We bought a 3TB hard drive and it will not format in our dvr system.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Here are instructions on how to format the hard disk drive so that it can be recorded onto:

1. use the remote to access the menu.

2. scroll down to HDD and press ENTER.

3. ... I just read your last posting... did you try this procedure already?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been trying to format it. Yesterday it said formatting and I left it alone for the night but when I came back today, it still says it is unformatted. I'm trying to format it again but it is stuck on 0%. I don't know if we bought a too big of a hard drive or what.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

You replaced a*****with a*****

That may be too large for the DVR's disk controller. I advise returning the 3 TB as defective and get an exchange for a*****like the one that was taken out of the DVR.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the person who installed the camera system said that if we wanted more space, we could upgrade. The 1 TB does not store enough so we wanted to upgrade it. Would a 2 TB work better maybe?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

2 TB might work better.

What brand is the h.264 DVR box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just says security by westec. Also I have a question about another h.264 system. This one was showing the camera picture but wasn't recording and the hdd light wasn't on. I turned it off and back on but now the screen is blank. It said please wait and just went blank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Westec is a reseller and they just re-brand stuff, I think.

Is there a manufacturer's label on the back, perhaps, or the underside of the box?

I am thinking to check the specific hard disk size limits of this exact model. H.264 and Westec isn't enough information yet, for me to do so.

If you have a different DVR system, please open a New Question for it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no label but I can check again later. Could you help me with my other system. The cameras were showing but not recording. I restarted the statement but now it goes to the please wait scree and goes blank
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If you have a different DVR system, please open a New Question for it. It will have to be considered separately.

Thank you.