Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My kindle screen is all messy looking. All lines up, down

Customer Question
Hi,My kindle screen is all...
Hi,My kindle screen is all messy looking. All lines up, down and across. What can be done to correct this? I've had it a few years now. However, the age of the unit shouldn't be an issue. It's never been dropped or abused in anyway. It has all my reading material on it. Can you help me??Stephen
***@******.***Phone:(###) ###-####
Ps I live in Adelaide South Australia
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/26/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, and sorry you're having problems.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

If the device still does not work beyond that, then please reply back with the Model of the Kindle and also the AGE of the unit- and we can proceed.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok,None of that worked!I got the kindle as a present back in 2010.Model no: D00901FCC ID X7N 0610Input: 5.0VDC=0.85AAssembled in China

I'm sorry to hear that, and that is all you can try on a user level. This indicates the LCD screen of the Kindle has failed and requires repairs to fix the issue. If you want to have this repaired, it's typically in the $100 range and a 3rd party repair service can be used at the link below:

http://www.missionrepair.com

Alternatively, a new or refurbished Kindle can be purchased from Amazon and all of your books will transfer to the new device without you having to purchase them again.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

There is one other reset that I've found you can try, but offhand it doesn't seem likely as you stated the screen was distorted. Here is the last reset below:

Hold down the "Alt" button and the "R" simultaneously for a 3 seconds and release.

If this does not work, then the device needs repairs or replacement unfortunately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The instructions you requested I do I have done many times before. I would like a refund. This hasn't helped me at all.

I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***

Aric, Technician