Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

The usb plug of my olympus ws-822 voice recorder seems to be

Customer Question
dead - is does not...
the usb plug of my olympus ws-822 voice recorder seems to be dead - is does not switch on or charge when its plugged in
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/24/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Check whether

A. you might have a defective USB cable... try another one.

B. there might be dirt gotten into the USB jack on the Olympus recorder. If so, it can be brushed out with e.g. a clean, but dry, old toothbrush. (It must be dry. Wet could hurt the circuitry, you know.)

How old is the voice recorder in question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 years old. there is no usb cable but it has a plug that sticks out of the recorder

Then it may be 'broken', quite simply.

Try it first in a different USB port - or several. Wait at least 4 minutes before removing it from a USB port, and of course, Stop the device in your computer's operating system, to avoid damaging it, before removing it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried other ports. I also tried an adapter for charging through an electric current, and the result was always the same - DEAD, as if it was never plugged in.
You say it may be broken, this occured to me too, but there is no sign anywhere on a brake. I even opened the recorder and to me it looks fine inside, so I thought it was a problem in one of the settings, that is why I contacted you.

It may be 'broken' in the non-mechanical sense. A static discharge (invisible, and when low-intensity enough, impalpable) probably got into the USB port and ruined the USB interface circuitry. (Static discharges may be avoided by never wearing a garment like a worsted sweater, or any type of woolen upper garment - and/or not keeping anything like your recorder in the pocket of a woolen garment. Wool as a fabric tends to accumulate static electricity.)

Or it might just be, that examination with a good magnifier would reveal tiny cracks in the places where the USB jack attached to the internal circuit cardlet of the recorder.

But since all things that could get it working have been tried, I think it might need repair-servicing.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.