Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I need a current solution to transfer palm 755P data

Customer Question
I need a current solution...

I need a current solution to transfer palm 755P data (contacts including notes, memos, calendar, text, tasks,etc) to computer and a new android or iphone. My Palm phone is not connecting to my palm desktop software in my old computer and I have misplaced the CD. Sprint tried but not luck. NEED TO SECURE MY DATA before moving to new phone. Would prefer to speak by phone.

Curious, since it's been a few hours, how long does it take to get my response?  This is my first time on justask.com.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
7/8/2016
Electronics Technician: Rusty, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service

Hello, my name is Rusty. This can be done, but it's multi step, and it will cost a little for the software. You'll need a computer with Windows 2000, XP or Vista to use the software. Click here. This is the Palm Desktop to get the info off of your Palm. Now click here. This software is for your Android, and it will transfer your Palm info to your Android.

Let me know if you have any questions. It looks like the 3 month license is only $14.95.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Rusty,

Thanks, ***** ***** dealing with someone with almost no tech knowledge! I wouldn't attempt to do this myself. Even the thought puts me in "panic mode", stomach knots, etc..... All my business contacts are on my Palm, and the Palm keeps freezing regarding texts, and also keeps sending me the hard reset bubble asking if I want to reconfigure my phone, but to do so will ERASE everything! UGH! I'M FREAKING OUT about all this! Also my phone wouldn't connect to the 6.2 version of the Palm desktop that I currently have on my old, extremely slow, XP Pro computer, which worked in the past. (No longer have the CD to try a reinstall).

The Advanced Tech pro at Sprint tried, from what she is telling me, to download a few software versions of the Palm Desktop on line to her computer, but kept running into problems with the downloads. Because my computer is so slow & the fact that my phone is not completing the connection with my current Palm Desktop, I don't think she felt the download approach from the web would work with my computer. That being said, I am not sure I understand the logistics on how you move data with the download approach?

If that concern is valid, is there a way to buy another Palm Desktop CD with the 6.2 version online? I tried searching online myself for that, but no luck. If that was an option, it then leads to another concern that I have; would the new CD even download a second copy on my PC, since I wouldn't want to trash the first desktop without the copy of ALL MY DATA being on the new desktop download from the CD first. The Sprint Associate hasn't been able to figure out why my phone wouldn't complete the connection with the Palm desktop. She thinks either the desktop software or my phone somehow has some corruption, which is affecting the completion of the connection.

Please respond back based on my above comments, and anything else you feel might help asap. I've got to quickly find something that will work before I loose everything. Your help is deeply appreciated, and needed quickly. Thanks Rusty!

Sharie H.

Don't do the hard reset, that will erase everything. The first thing to do is locate a computer with Windows 2000, XP or Vista and install the software. It's the same software that is on the disc, so you should be familiar. Back up your data, do not do the reset. Let me know when you get the backup done, and we can proceed to step 2.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Rusty,

Unfortunately, It appears you are not understanding my emails. This is why I hate communicating details with an email. I would prefer a phone conversation as I mentioned in my first email. This approach with emails is so time consuming to compose, and then its either not understood, or the concerns ignored ??

Of course I won't intentionally hard reset my phone, and I have an Windows XP Pro computer. No, as I explained, I am not familiar or comfortable doing this type of stuff, so I am not familiar with the details of the software and how to download to a computer, be it from a CD disk, or a download. Whenever needed in the past Sprint helped.

Please read my last email again and answer each of my concerns listed there, and explain options Ì might have related to those concerns or limitations. Again your help is appreciated, but I can't do this myself. Again, a timely response would be appreciated. I hope you understand. Thanks Rusty.

Sharie H.

If you would like a phone conversation, we do offer that service. Just request the premium service, or if you wish, I can send an offer to you.

Again, you don't need the CD to use the program. Everything is downloadable these days, I provided the link. I can offer secure remote assistance if you would like for a fee. The easiest way to download it to your slow computer is to download it on your fast computer, and copy the file to a flash drive, then install it on your slow computer.

Again, no, you cannot buy a CD. Everything is a download, technology is advancing.

It sounds like you may need me to take over your computer to do this task. I would need to be on the XP computer, with the palm plugged into USB.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Rusty,

Is the phone offer price from you the same as the premium service you are referring to? I am getting concerned about the cost of all this financially, since I will shortly need to buy a new phone above all this. I'm afraid to ask what the cost will be if you have to assist further! That being said, I can't loose these contacts either. I wanted a phone option from the get go. It is frustrating that a customer, can't go straight to that option if they prefer...

I'm curious to why the Sprint associate could not download the downloadable option to her computer, which I think she wanted to email an attachment to me, if I remember correctly.

So, from another computer, do we download first to the computer and then somehow move to the USB thumb drive, or if the thumb drive is plugged into another computer would the download go straight onto the thumb drive?

My only option is the office computer, which I believe is still Windows XP PRO. They don't like personal things done on it, but maybe I can get an exception.

Any thoughts, please email back. Thanks Rusty...

Sharie

Hi Rusty,

Please respond back regarding the phone price from you vs: the Premium Service by phone.

I read your last email again, and now I'm clear that a copy goes to the thumb drive, and not initially on the thumb drive. Needed to know so I can talk to the office about using their computer.

Sharie

Electronics Technician: Neil, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Neil, Engineer

Hi

If buying a new phone you can make it conditional on them transferring your contacts... Most phone shops have the tools and experience to do this for you... Its important they know you only want the new phone IF they can transfer your contacts etc, and shop around if they say no, some people are just lazy or they don't have the skills...

Those on commission tend to be the most helpful. That way it shouldn't cost you anything to get this transferred

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Neil,

Well, this has been the reason fod years why I haven't transferred to a new phone. The onoy thiñg Sprint ( MY PROVIDER) can transfer, if it works, and it may not is my contact names and telephone numbers, not all my important notes! These are my Biz contacts! Also need my past and future calendar, texts (for history if a problem arises), Memos, & tasks. Because this phone is a Palm 755P it makes it more difficult.

I may get a phone discount from Sprint because of past issues, so it may be necessary to stay with them. Have you heard that one provider has better transference options for old phones than another?

Sharie

Yes the stuff that is phone specific such as calendar, past txts tasks etc are only transferable if the phones are compatible... This is because these file formats are unique to the phone and not universal like contacts... What this means is if you are wanting to keep this stuff you will limited to buying a compatible phone so another Palm but even then they might not be compatible...

A quick search shows no compatible phones available so this is why it is a problem..

Sorry the news isn't better...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Neil,

Thank you. ***** doesn't exist anymore, and it was a different operating system from what I have been told.

I went to Best Buy last night to see, since they transfer for all the major cell vendors, if another provider besides Sprint had the ability to transfer more than just contact names and phone numbers, and they said all are the same.... What I don't understand is why, within the contacts, they can't transfer those notes, since its contact notes?)

One Sprint repair store, that has the Celebrite equipment that transfers just the name and phone number said he understands that Celebrite had a higher level that transferred more, but Sprint didn't belong to that. I wanted to find Celebrites phone customer service number to find out from them if that was true, and who had that extended option, but when I googled them, I found nothing. The Sprint manager at that repair store thought the address was Celebrite.com, but it wasn't. Best Buy thought the mother company could be different, but didn't have any name to share, so would you know how to search for that on line, and if found, could you send me their URL and customer service number? If you could do that, it would help. What I'm asking for on google isn't working. Please let me know either way, if you do find something about them or not.

THANKS!

Sharie

Hi

Sorry but the question has timed out so I didn't see this reply...

If you could accept my answer I will be able to hold the question open so I can see your replies... Just make sure you accept my answer though and not the first expert answer...

You are spelling Celebrite wrong:

http://www.cellebrite.com

I can explain why the contacts file structure is not standard but needless to say it won't change anything I'm afraid..

Try Cellebrite, you have nothing to lose..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Neil,

I'm confused. First time on JustAnswer, so I don't think I understand yet how this works. I did respond back to you ( and previously Rusty).

In a sense, the most important part of my last question to you, you answered. At least now I can look up and maybe call Cellebrite. I was told they had another version some vendors belonged to that would transfer more, but the Vendor had to belong to that membership plan. Do you know anything about that part?

Sharie

You have been charged but I am not paid for my time unless you accept my answer, after a certain length of time of no Accept the site times out the question so I am not told of your replies... If you Accept (which costs you nothing) then the site assumes an ongoing conversation and informs any time you reply...

In terms of the membership plans... You are going to have to phone around to find your nearest one that has the necessary plan...

Neil, Engineer