Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Have new battery, it loses brightness when on the bike. It

Customer Question

have new battery for 590lm, it loses brightness when on the bike. It wil be real bright on external power source. why is this happening?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

This generally is owing to being on battery. The display dims down often enough or always, unless the device is getting plenty of power from a AC Adapter as power source.

Power-saving measures are enabled on Battery, so that setting or option might need to be disabled on the Garmin device.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the DC 12 volt supply to the gps cradle is hardwired to bike battery, have checked with multi meter and there is 12 volts to the gps docking cradle. Do you suppose since this gps lithium battery is new that it needs more than 12 hour charge from wall ac charger?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It might need more charging before it is good for its first use. Rechargeable batteries from the store, I usually state as a principle, need to be on the charger for 6+ hours before first use, regardless of whether the charger shows them as charged before then.

(Note: you said, the Garmin's screen is real bright on an 'external power source' - which power source is that?)