Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have model #1276 detectors in my home. Now 10 years old.

Customer Question
What do I replace these...
I have model #1276 detectors in my home. Now 10 years old. What do I replace these older smoke detectors with. New models do not have house wiring connections to hook to.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/14/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, New models sure do have house wiring to connect to- but you just have to buy the right type of smoke detectors. "Hard-Wired" is what you need to look for, not the cheap battery only models. Here is a source where you can choose what hard-wired units you want to use. They all use the 3 wire connection- hot, neutral and then they talk to each other through the ground. Any of the units at the link below will work just fine and they all have the little compartment to make your wire connections inside (as well as have a backup battery in case of a power outage):

http://www.homedepot.com/s/hard%2520wired%2520smoke%2520detector?NCNI-5

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician