How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Martin Your Own Question
Martin, Engineer
Category: Consumer Electronics
Satisfied Customers: 4922
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
Type Your Consumer Electronics Question Here...
Martin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 52 years old and 100% disabled. I have had a Kindle,

Customer Question

I am 52 years old and 100% disabled. I have had a Kindle, bought from WalMart, for two years. I have a lot of stuff saved in it which I do not want to lose, as it took me so long to accumulate it. I have taken it back to Walmart, and I took it to the local Radio Shack. Both say there is something wrong with the port where I plug in the charge cord. They told me that the only way I can see if it can be repaired is to "send it back". I bought a new one at Radio Shack, but I have so much trouble learning what to do on it, that I still would like to get my old one running again. If you can send me an address for where I can send it, so someone can look at it, I will do that. Thank you, ***** WY 82009;(###) ###-####***@******.*** (Written by Nancy Hammer, mother to Tim, my handicapped son)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. This is a common problem with Kindle. I am still "amazed" that amazon don't do a recall for that issue. I guess that the size of a company is not an indicator about amateur they are.

You can bring it at an electronic repair shop (one that solder thing not the crap they call repair shop now that are only part swaper. Even if they never handled one yet, there is no shortage of how to on about making the repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Martin, I asked for an address, to which I can mail my disabled Kindle. Perhaps you gave me an address and I missed it. If so, please send it again. Thank you, *****
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

I would need to know your location to be able to find you a repair shop that could solder it back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said it was a particular the of solderer, and I have no idea who that might be. We are in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I am 76 years old & Tim will be 53 in a week. I thought surely I could mail it to someone who could look at it and fix it. Nancy Hammer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Mailing is very expensive these days. Instead, look into those two local business. The first link can even go fix at your home:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sunday 6/12/16 I called the first one you gave me, but they do not work on Kindles, only i-phones. I will try the second one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The second one is closed on Sundays, so I will try it tomorrow.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Weird as those are very similar, especially soldering the port. Hopefully the second will do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May not get anyone called tomorrow, as I must take Tim to orthopedic surgeon at ten Monday morning, to find out how to treat his torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. It's been quite a challenge for both of us for the last three weeks, and he's been unable to use his Kindle through all of this. Nancy
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Take all the time you need.

Related Consumer Electronics Questions