Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I am 52 years old and 100% disabled. I have had a Kindle, bought from WalMart, for two years.

Customer Question
I am 52 years old...
I am 52 years old and 100% disabled. I have had a Kindle, bought from WalMart, for two years. I have a lot of stuff saved in it which I do not want to lose, as it took me so long to accumulate it. I have taken it back to Walmart, and I took it to the local Radio Shack. Both say there is something wrong with the port where I plug in the charge cord. They told me that the only way I can see if it can be repaired is to "send it back". I bought a new one at Radio Shack, but I have so much trouble learning what to do on it, that I still would like to get my old one running again. If you can send me an address for where I can send it, so someone can look at it, I will do that. Thank you, ***** WY 82009;(###) ###-####***@******.*** (Written by Nancy Hammer, mother to Tim, my handicapped son)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
6/6/2016
Electronics Technician: Martin, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Martin, Engineer

Hi. This is a common problem with Kindle. I am still "amazed" that amazon don't do a recall for that issue. I guess that the size of a company is not an indicator about amateur they are.

You can bring it at an electronic repair shop (one that solder thing not the crap they call repair shop now that are only part swaper. Even if they never handled one yet, there is no shortage of how to on youtube.com about making the repair.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dear Martin, I asked for an address, to which I can mail my disabled Kindle. Perhaps you gave me an address and I missed it. If so, please send it again. Thank you, *****

I would need to know your location to be able to find you a repair shop that could solder it back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You said it was a particular the of solderer, and I have no idea who that might be. We are in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I am 76 years old & Tim will be 53 in a week. I thought surely I could mail it to someone who could look at it and fix it. Nancy Hammer

Mailing is very expensive these days. Instead, look into those two local business. The first link can even go fix at your home:

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/icracked-professional-iphone-ipod-and-ipad-repair-cheyenne

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/krash-electronic-repairs-fort-collins-2

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sunday 6/12/16 I called the first one you gave me, but they do not work on Kindles, only i-phones. I will try the second one.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The second one is closed on Sundays, so I will try it tomorrow.

Weird as those are very similar, especially soldering the port. Hopefully the second will do it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
May not get anyone called tomorrow, as I must take Tim to orthopedic surgeon at ten Monday morning, to find out how to treat his torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. It's been quite a challenge for both of us for the last three weeks, and he's been unable to use his Kindle through all of this. Nancy

Take all the time you need.

Martin, Engineer