Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369

I have a sentry safe I just bought from a friendthe sn is

Customer Question

I have a sentry safe I just bought from a friend
the sn is e289954
The key pad is not responding
how do I open it to change the battery
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Randy and welcome. If you have a round combination keypad, twist the outer rim from the 12:00 position to the 2:00 position to remove it, and you will see the battery holder inside. Replace your batteries (alkaline or lithium for electronics, only--NO rechargeable), replace the battery holder and twist the round keypad back on, to the right--make sure it's securely on, but don't overtighten. If you have a rectangular keypad area, look for a small hole toward the left of the plastic panel below; put a pen point or the end of a paperclip into the hole and depress, as you slide off the panel, to the right. You will see the battery holder inside and follow the directions above, to change batteries. Next, slide the plastic panel back on, to the left. Make sure there is no corrosion (leaked battery acid/rust) inside the battery holder. If you see any, wipe it out gently with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol and dry thoroughly before inserting new batteries. Make sure the battery terminals (negative/positive) are in the right places. I hope this helped and you are able to open your safe. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback if you found it helpful; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups.Warmest regards,Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done that and the batteries are not there
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply. What is the model number of your safe? You included the serial number, but the model number will be more helpful at this time. Is your safe very old? Do you have a round or rectangular electronic keypad? Does your safe require a key, as well as the combination, to open? Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply, please allow me some time to send another answer. Warmest wishes,Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TC8-331
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with the model number. Please allow me a short while to research this. Thanks,Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your patience. These are Sentry's instructions for installing batteries in this model: To install batteries, turn the electronic lock case to the left and remove. (Fig. A) Unlock door with the override key provided in the plastic bag attached to the owner’s manual, and open the door using the lever handle. Remove key hook plate located on the inside back of the door by sliding the plate upward, then pulling toward you. (Fig. B) Insert the four batteries as indicated.Replace the key hook plate and keypad.-------------Here is the downloadable owner's manual for your safe, below. It contains all instructions and information EXCEPT the original combination. That would have been on the original manual that came with the safe. http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/OwnersManuals/400093.pdf-------------If you bought this safe from a friend, then you should have been given all the materials, like the manual and override key, to allow you to get to the batteries, which are located inside the door. If your friend no longer has these items, the safe is not usable. However, it might be possible to contact Sentry to request the override key to get to the batteries inside the door. Visit the following site and follow all instructions, fill out the forms, and see if the override key is available for this model: http://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/Need_A_Key----------If you need to speak to Customer Service, here is their phone number and hours of operation:(###) ###-####onday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM CST-------------------- I hope this helps you further. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got this used
I have no key
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, I understand that you got this used, so you will need to contact Sentry for the override key, in order to access the battery compartment in this safe, located on the inside of the door. Please use the information I included in my previous answer to contact Sentry for a key and also, call Customer Service, if needed. This is your only option, if you want to have a usable safe; otherwise, I suggest returning the safe to your friend and getting your money back. The safe is of no use to you without that override key, to open the door and replace the batteries. I'm sure your friend had to know this, if s/he had used the safe in the past. I hope you're able to get the override key without any problem! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much! Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost. Warmest regards,Cher