Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a 'Rocketfish Bluetooth audio receiver' iv been having

Customer Question
trouble receiving signal from my...
I have a 'Rocketfish Bluetooth audio receiver' iv been having trouble receiving signal from my cell phone so I opened up said device to see what it would take to ad an external antenna. I was going to use a simple wifi antenna since it's within range of the Bluetooth frequency spectrum. I have a few photos of the circuit board, I wanted to try and soder the antenna wire directly to where the device receives the Bluetooth signal or hopefully soder a u.FL port directly to the board so I can connect the external antenna... My question is, can viewing the photos be enough to say where on the board i should soder the antenna too? (Can a particular chip be identified to direct the point at which I should soder)
Pictures inside google drive>>>
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B33KwJa1mt3SOHZ1ay1CWi1RQVk
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
4/30/2016
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer
Hi Chad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where you able to view the photos?
Yes I got the photos, thanks.You can see the large wireless module that receives and processes the bluetooth signal on the board - you can attach an external u.FL or MMCX antenna socket to the unused pads on that module (one to the signal pad and one to the ground pad).Do bear in mind that there is a recognized formula for calculating antenna length/frequency, which is 300/frequency - i.e. 300/150(MHz) will give you 2 meters. As Bluetooth devices work at frequencies of around 2450MHz, the formula will give you an antenna length of +/- 12cm. This figure then has to be divided by 4 to give a quarter wave antenna, which will be 30mm in length - this length is critical!For example, using a 25mm or 35mm antenna will just make it less efficient (lower range).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which exactly is the "signal pad" And which is the "ground pad" could you point out where on the board exactly are these two points located? Can you use reference points from the photo to give me an idea as to where I should attatch these two wires too.... (Maybe give me a chip number you see from the photo or maybe draw right on the photo I sent you then send it back) thanks for your time;-)
Pete, Electronic Engineer