Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

The remote control (model RMT-D259) Sony SVR-HDT1000

Customer Question
The remote control (model RMT-D259)...
The remote control (model RMT-D259) for my Sony SVR-HDT1000 has stopped working, although the recorder will display a program on screen. I've put in fresh batteries, made sure that the sensor isn't blocked, and held the remote close to the unit. Nothing worls. Can you please suggest what the problem might be and an appropriate solution.
Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
4/25/2016
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, there is a partial test to confirm if the remote is working or not. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself. Please post back results of camera test.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi LouieThanks for the suggestion, but no, no flashes of light on my camera, or on the camera function of my iPad. Sounds like a faulty remote. Can they be repaired or will I need a new one?
In most instances (except for worn contacts or cracked board), it is possible to repair. A concern though could be the repair/service fee. The common fault are:• battery contacts (least likely);• cracked circuit board (less likely);• oscillator crystal (likely);• cold solder / InfraRED light (most likely).Or would you be attempting a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** no. When it comes to soldering, I'm a complete klutz and would certainly make a bad situation worse. I'll check with the local Sony service team, or even consider getting a new remote.Many thanks.
I understand. Should it be of interest, this remote is available for online purchase. Please click HERE and HERE.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, Louie. Greatly appreciated.
Great! Glad that the above service information may serve your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so).
Louie, Technician