Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Nikon D3200 I have looking at Nikon lens I look

I have a Nikon D3200 I have looking at Nikon lens I look ebay cheap prices. Crutchfield and best 4x higher Same thing
$120 to $499 for the same lens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eay VR Cruthfield or Best Buy

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I take it you are wondering why the price range for the same lens is over a range of from

X

up to

4 * X.

This could be because

A. the cheaper ones are sold 'USED', with no warranty - likely the ones on eBay. Beware of those, some unscrupulous (or just shoddy) eBay sellers sell them Used to get rid of defective components.

B. the cheaper ones are sold 'AS-IS', with admitted defects. And no warranty, as with (A) above.

C. the cheaper ones are sold cheaper owing to subtle market factors, such as an overstock and a limited buyer's market... but this is unlikely! to a range of 4 times less ?? And if you go for one of these, make quite sure that the seller is rated quite highly by quite a few people! and that the product is NOT sold 'Used', and that it does have a warranty (eBay sales of all sorts are quite unlikely to have one - be warned) and that it is not sold with any admitted defects... and hopefully that it is sold 'NEW' not Used.

If this answers your question fully, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

(If you need more info on the matter, use Reply To Expert to make further queries, which will cost you nothing additional.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what ia the gray market? If the seller on ebay has maybe 10000sales and says with this would be pretty sale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the gray market?

The gray market is a new term, and applies variously depending on who is defining it.

Please repeat your query about a seller on eBay with 10,000 sales.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read online about buying lens on Ebay to watch for these sellers. My thought is these lens are poorly built. And imported to sell at a reduced price. I knew of a guy that bought from China Taylor made gold clubs and sold on Ebay as genuine product. I wrote Ebay and let them know what was going on.

Yes, that's the possibility I didn't think of: Knockoffs made cheaply in a cheap labor market. That could be the case.

Is there any other advice you need on this matter? if not, please rate my answer. Thanks.