Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have an older model Curtis Mathes floor tv. was going to

Customer Question
i have an older...
i have an older model Curtis Mathes floor tv. was going to throw it out but thought about
getting it fixed if it did not cost to much. Model no.J2530mk, serial no. 05208459. sound is fine but there is a white line across the picture tube. some people were telling me that is
was the CRT drive but I do not believe some people. would like to know what this is and how much it would cost me to get fixed and where I could take it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
4/4/2016
Electronics Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician
Hi , I`m JackPerhaps I can help you with this problem.What you have is a vertical deflection problem and it is very common to be caused by broken solder joints on the vertical deflection chip or the chip itself went defective
Do you recall seeing its picture with a dark line at the top that would clear after the tv would warm up ?
need help with this ?
I can tell you that if you were to look into this yourself then you will need a good solder iron and a good knowledge on how to use it on circuit boards , on the other hand if you are not going to look into this yourself then you wil need a local repairman and a service call usually starts at $125 for the first 1/2 hour then the labor rates and parts added onto that .Unless there is some sentimental value here this may not be economically viable and a new tv may be a better approach.Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help . Thank you
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician