Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a cool pic s30 that I bought grandaughter after

Customer Question

I have a cool pic s30 that I bought for my grandaughter after just a week or so the lens appears to be jammed. The screen comes on and Thule in the setup etc you can see and select everything and works perfectly. In photo mode it has a greenish mottled screen and clicks and writes to the card but you can't see the subject and when it saves the pics are all black. It seems to be the lens
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I would say that presents a thorough picture of the camera being defective from vendor or store. If a week or two is not too late, return it to the store or vendor as defective and ask for an exchange (or refund)... if an exchange, for another of equivalent or equal capabilities. If it is too late for the store's or vendor's return-exchange limits, then call or contact Nikon USA and put in a failed-within-warranty claim on the camera, for warranty-covered repair.Here's the page for repair, warranty or out-of-warranty:http://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-and-repair.page I'm sorry to hear about the rather disappointing problems with the new camera. I hope the above information helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It actually is out of warranty. It failed after a week or so but I have been waiting for my daughter to bring it to me to try and get it fixed. I am wondering if I would be better off just replacing it?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If it is older than a year from purchase date, or if it has been handled badly or not taken care of e.g. dropped, gotten wet, heated up above 95 F. or cooled below about 36 F.... then it is out of warranty.If it wasn't very expensive to buy, perhaps replacing it is best. I'm sure your good judgement will make the right decision about that point. If this answers your question fully and adequately, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was water resistant and shock proof which is why I got that one for a child it's actually perfect for a first camera. I just looked and there is an updated version for about 105.00 I think it would likely cost that to fix. I guess I will let her pick a color and replace it. Than you
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like a good idea. Please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.