Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Can you tell me how to make my kindal find my wifi connect

Customer Question
ion...
can you tell me how to make my kindal find my wifi connect ion
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
4/3/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Randal. You should NOT need to manually enter the network name. This would only be in a very specific circumstance if you had a hidden (not broadcast) network name, which is not common. Unless you know that your network was specially set up for that, then there is something else wrong here - the kindle should be detecting your network on its own. Start by unplugging power to your router for 60 seconds to reboot it.Then, be sure you are nearby the router (same room), and reboot the kindle by sliding/holding the power switch for a full 20 seconds.When the kindle comes back on, go into wireless and let it scan for the network, it should find your network name and show it in the list. Touch on that name, then enter hte password ***** prompted.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is a new wifi than the 1 my son had previously entered when I go to shop it shows me the wifi network instead of letting me shop
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now its saying no networks found
Right because you can't shop or do any other online function until you are online. Go into the menu, then tools/settings, and into wifi from there, to scan for networks. If it finds absolutely nothing at all (not even an area/neighbor network) that indicates there is a hardware issue with the kindle itself.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says 1 available network not connected
Is that your network that it shows? When you touch/hold on it, it should prompt for a password, what happens?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it shows happensmy network touch and hold nothing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry it shows my network if I touch and hold that nothing
Tap it, and look if it says FORGET this network. If so, select that.Then reboot the kindle again, and reconnect, and you should be prompted for your password.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says ur kindal is unable to connect to the wifi network the password ***** ***** try setting up your network manually
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
our daughter is in college and uses that password
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wait a minute sorry its showing randals wifi network now. it was showing mine before
Her password ***** not be the same as your home network.restart the kindle again and your router too if you didn't already.The only way this will work is when you choose YOUR network and put in YOUR proper wifi password, which would not be the same as hers at college.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she uses our wifi and I will try
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am restarting both now what do you suggest I do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is still trying to use the old network even though I have put the new one in before and I know the password ***** mine is correct
You have to select the new one from the list. If old one is coming up then you need to "forget" it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
so I go to settings then what
Settings, then wireless, then select the old network that you're having a problem with, and then Forget (remove network).Reboot it, and then connect to the new network with the correct password.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can go to wifi networks I don't see wwireless andits showing thhe old network I want gone but I don't see how to remove it
Wifi and wireless are the same thing.If you see the old network listed, you need to touch and hold on it, until more options come up, one of which is remove network or forget network.If you don't see anything when you do that, then the old network is just still being seen as a signal but it isn't trying to connect so it is not the problem. The issue then is that you need to pick the new network.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
same thing nothing happens. No options
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not happening
Do you see the little 2 arrows at the top (the scan/refresh button)? When you press that, you should be seeing your own home network come up.Again, if you don't, then it isn't picking up the new router properly. The next attempt would be to go into the kindle setup menu, under Device or About, and do the Factory reset (restore defaults) function, and start the process over from the very beginning.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tell me how to get to the setup menu please
That is the same menu you've been using all along to get to wireless.Go to menu, then look for the items I described: tools or settings, then about/device, and you'll see the restore option. I cannot tell you exactly step by step as there are dozens of different kindle hardware and software versions, but following these general steps will guide you there.
Were you able to reset/restore?
Do you need more help with this, Randal?
Nathan, Engineer