Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I am trying to get a Funai tv working that was made in June

Customer Question
2006 but no luck....
I am trying to get a Funai tv working that was made in June 2006 but no luck. Serial # ***** ***** Send response to***@******.*** or call(###) ###-#### Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician
Hi Brad, We can't send responses to your e-mail as techs on here- but you should be receiving an e-mail notification of replies. That being said, I can't see any details about what is wrong with the TV. Can you elaborate on what exactly the TV is doing or not doing so we can proceed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
First of all, do I need a digital tuner with this specific tv? I turn it on and I get a screen that says"did you do auto ch reset? I did that from 2-72 with no luck! I don't have remote. It is hooked up to an antenna booster with GOOD antenna! Can you call me at(###) ###-#### THANKS!
Thanks for the reply. I'm pulling this model up to see. As far as the phone call- I am unable to take a call as I'm in an area without cell service- plug there's an extra charge for the phone call. I will postback shortly.
Okay, I just pulled this set's specs up and it does need a digital TV converter box to be used with an outside antenna, as the TV does not have a digital tuner. You can purchase one of these boxes at Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy for around $50, and there is also one available at the link below: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1060883&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2_23BRDb_qbvzK3X8M8BEiQAg87AF7t300X21UPPW0jkLPKqJO3hmXhW-PzBwF1djc_p5qkaAmyv8P8HAQ&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&is=REG&A=details
You can connect that box right to the Yellow and White AV jacks on the front of the TV, then simply use the Channel button on the set to scroll to the lowest or highest channel number to set the Input on the set. From there you will use the DTV's included remote to run a channel scan and the TV will not need it's own remote for this. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then what channel do I set the tv to in order to make the digital tuner work? And why does it ask me to do a auto ch reset when the digital tuner will ask you to do the same(that is how my old emerson tv was)? Shouldn't I just do an auto scan ONCE on my tuner? CONFUSING!
The TV is asking to run a scan because it cannot detect any channels. The TV's tuner cannot decode the digital signals that are used by ALL TV towers nowadays. The digital tuner box CAN decode those channels which is why you'll run a scan using that box.
Your TV will be set to the lowest or highest channel number in most cases- whichever one gives you a BLUE screen. I'm looking to see if the manual tells me what specific channel.
To activate the AV inputs on the TV, you select "Game Mode". Here is what the manual says in order to do this: 1) Press the MENU button so that the menu display appears on the TV screen.2) Press the VOL(ume) ▲ button so that "PICTURE" is selected.3) Select the feature you wish to adjust with the CH(annel) ▲ or ▼ button and adjust it with theVOL(ume) ▲ or ▼ button
GAME MODESet to the most suitable position for videogames.[+] : ON[-] : OFFBRIGHTAdjust until the whitest parts of the picture areSLEEP 10as bright as you prefer.[+] : increase brightness[-] : decrease brightnessCONTRASTAdjust to increase or decrease contrast.[+] : increase contrast[-] : decrease contrastCOLORAdjust to be brilliant or pale color.[+] : be brilliant color[-] : be pale colorTINTAdjust to obtain natural skin tones.[+] : greenish tone[-] : reddish toneNotes:"+" is achieved by pressing the VOL(ume)●▲ button and "-" by pressing the VOL(ume)PICTURECHANNEL SET▼ button.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So... I will try to run a DIGITAL scan on my tuner-- just tell me what channel should I set the actual tv to? And can brand new tvs get a good antenna signal?
Please read the above with regards ***** ***** the AV Input mode. Also yes new TV's do have a digital tuner built in so they can pickup channels directly from the antenna. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just give a little time
Okay, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you already bought the digital tuner I referenced? You won't be able to get any stations on the TV without the DTV box.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the tuner I purchased in 2009 and it is all hooked up. I just can't get it to the BLUE SCREEN! Not much longer and I'm buying a new tv!! I'm not farting around with this all day!
I'm not there to see what you see? In the manual, what I posted- go to MENU, can you select Game Mode yes or no please?
Also we NEED to know if your tuner is connected to the front yellow and white ports or the ANTENNA port on the back of the set? That's important.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything is hooked up. Matters are complicated because I don't have the remote and I'm trying to get to game screen like you said just by the buttons on the tv and I can't. NOT user friendly!
I don't need to know that "Everything is hooked up", I need to know HOW it's hooked up. If the tuner you have is plugged into the ANT port then you DON'T select Game. That's why I'm asking. The details are paramount.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BOT***** *****NE: I'm no dummy and I have everything connected properly. I'm buying new tv today-this back and forth is doing nothing. You can keep the $5 BUT DO NOT charge the extra $36 because I am not satisfied. DO NOT SEND ANYMORE TEXTS!! I will be checking charges on my credit card and WILL CALL if the $36 is charged.
I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. I'm simply an AV technician. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.*** I will opt out at this point. Good luck.
Aric, Technician