educatortech
educatortech,
46856550

I have a safe that I purchased 20 years ago and I lost the

Customer Question

I have a safe that I purchased 20 years ago and I lost the combination to it. How can I get the safe open?
Thank You,
K.C. DARRELL
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  educatortech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg. What is the make and model of the safe? Is it a Sentry or another brand?

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

These instructions are for a sentry safe - if you have a different type, reply back with the make and model as well as company. I work with Sentry regularly and they are good about getting the combos to you quickly as long as you follow the directions below.

However, you have to prove your safe ownership to Sentry using the steps below in order to get the combination - there is no work around to this. If you contact a locksmith to open, they would be the ones verifying your safe ownership and could get it quicker for you but without a locksmith handling this as a middle man, the notary form directions below are the quickest (and most cost effective) means to get your master combination.

Unfortunately, Sentry safes do not have a skeleton combination that works on all safes or a way to reset to any type of "default" combination. In order to open the safe, the master combination is going to need to be used. There is not an override code for a Sentry Safe and you must get the original master combination in order to open the safe.

Here are the directions to get your combination from Sentry. These steps are needed in order to prove your identity and ownership of the safe. You would not want someone to steal your safe and then just provide the serial number and model number over the Internet (both on the outside of the safe) and be able to gain entry to it. Sentry has these requirements for everyone but they have good customer service for their customers.

Visit

http://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/Lost_Your_Combination

You will need to click on the "Download Notary Form" there on the page - download and fill out all the information on that form and have it notarized (this is proving your identity for Sentry). You then mail or fax that sheet to Sentry at the provided location.

You can also directly download the needed notary form here:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/NotaryForm.pdf

Within a few days after they receive the notarized form, you will receive the combination.Unfortunately, this is the only method that Sentry allows in retrieving combinations. If you need further followup, please hit reply.

I highly recommend once you get the combination to go on sentrysafe.com and register your safe. In that way, if you ever forget your combination again, you can just log in and instantly retrieve it from the site.

If you need any followup, just reply back... I deal with Sentry regularly on these issues and you should not have any troubles - the main thing is to get the form notarized by a notary with a different last name than your own to prove ownership.

Have a wonderful week and all the best to you.