Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I've just gotten a new Marantz SR 7010, replacing a Denon

Customer Question

i've just gotten a new Marantz SR 7010, replacing a Denon AVR 3806, which i'd like to use as an external amp to drive 2 more channels so that i can get to a 7.2.4 Atmos setup but i've had difficulty getting the Denon set up to do so. So I think I need to reset it to factory default to get it to cooperate. Denon tells me it should work almost automatically once I have it wired correctly but that hasn't been the case so I'm thinking it must be an internal setting that's not allowing it. What do you think?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Just to elaborate:

1) Are you looking to have the Marantz be the external amp, and you're still going to use the Denon? You mentioned the Marantz is "replacing" the Denon so your question is confusing.

2) Have you reset anything to factory defaults yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, want to use Denon as the amp for the Marantz. My Google query about a hard reset for the Denon is what led me here so hadn't tried that quite yet
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay to use the Denon as any kind of 2 channel amp you simply Input to the red and white RCA jacks on it. So to figure out whether it's the Marantz settings or the Denon that's the root cause of the problem simply connect a LINE level source (CD player, etc.) to the Denon's AUX Inputs, select AUX and let me know if there's any sound. This tells us what to do next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok give me a minute
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No problem....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not. Checked with my phone plugged into the aux jacks and got nothing. Then tried plugging into CD inputs and got sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay then use the CD Inputs- it does not matter which ones you use- you're simply Inputting to the Denon. Try connecting the Marantz to the Denon's CD Inputs and let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just hooked up to CD input with no result.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You just said your phone worked on CD though correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Meaning... You're looking at settings in the Marantz, do you follow me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What specific output jacks are you using on the Marantz (what are they labeled)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pre-out Front L and R
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed speaker settings on the Marantz to 11.1 and hooked up according to their on screen instructions
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but the Marantz manual is far too cryptic for me to get into right now. I will opt out and open up the question to other experts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol. I know. The onscreen instructions are actually pretty good but it gets circular when it doesn't go as depicted
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi i`m Jack

Just happened on this post here and did not look at the manual for your marantz but was wondering at what level should the denon be set before calibrating the speakers all around ?

I mean like you are not simply using an external amp here but preamp/amp in this case through the cd input so you will need to set the volume at say halfway up on the denon ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually turn the volume dial all the way up and down to mak sure I'm not missing it but I'll try again
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No that's o.k I mean all the way will surely give you sound if there are to be some

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Now the setup tells you to use the front preamp out for this setup ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I mean for example the front wide and height 2 need to be selected separately when no other amp is present so it would seem reasonable to think that the extra amp would take care of one of those 2 channels

Are you certain we are not talking about front WIDE ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried again with my phone as the source and got sound through the fronts but when I switch back to the Marantz as source, nothing
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then that was my two bits and I will opt out as well

cheers

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Me again

Take a look at the link below , that's a picture from your manual ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdi536770umkxui/2016-03-10_1425.png?dl=0

As you will see that second amp goes into HEIGHT 2 not front preamp

By the way , click the link below and if that link opens a login window popup then just close it with the upper corner X or the "no thanks . continue to view"
The picture is behind that .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

When you connect your phone and get sound you are simply feeding a stereo signal , not surround

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll give it a try. I can send youa pic of the onscreen instruction that shows the Front Preout used
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Doesn`t make sense , there are already speakers there and as I said above the only ones that share a channel are front wide and height 2 when no other amp is present

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

In any case this is straight from your manual and you can see that for yourself .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
confusing. Problem now is I don't have sound coming from the fronts I just hooked back up but I'll try the front wides
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , I`d be careful with that full volume on the denon until some calibration has been done .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that in order to use the H2 then the front wide have to be selected as speaker output

You probably cannot preamp the H2 if they are also selected as speaker out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just tried it and it doesn't work.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Start over again , take your time and this time go by the book .

You can get the PDF version of it here ; http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7010/NA/EN/index.php

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , the height 2 connect you did earlier where you said the front stopped working , then after that did you try different surround settings ?

It seems to me so far it was the one that did something

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

also the one that is by the book

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the manual downloaded. I've actually been working on this off and on since Christmas. Found this site when I was looking for hard reset for the Denon.
And to answer your last question, I have it set to multichannel so all speakers are playing
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Much welcome and a positive rating would be appreciated for my efforts , that is how I get paid by the website.

This would not close this post either

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure no problem. Thought your responses were good this is just a head scratcher
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

LOL give it a shot and let me know how that goes , then we`ll go for round 2 ?

Wish i could be there myself but i`ll do as best as i can from here

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , i would go by the book as far as the wiring goes then you can just sit on the couch with the remote and figure out the settings , grab a beer from the fridge if you want :)

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Something bugging me here in what you said " I have it set to multichannel so all speakers are playing "

Does that mean that all INCLUDING the denon are working now ??

If so then how do you figure you will find a source that comes out in 11.1 channels ?

This receiver will always have to be set to some sort of simulated 11.1 , I mean most source are in 5.1 so you have to find a sound field that will output to all channels

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What I`m getting at is that now this is a question of settings , wiring is done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the receiver simulates Atmos in multichannel mode and that means I can hear the 4 ceiling speakers (normal) AND the second set of surround backs (the 7 in 7.2.4) that I normally can't hear in 9.2 (and 5.2.4) so in order to hear the fronts again I have to reconfigure back to 9.2. Does that make sense? I started down this path because I knew to get to 7.2.4 I'd have to add an amp, which I was ready to buy until it occurred to me that I might be able to repurpose the Old Denon. I called Denon and they said it should work so I've been trying to get it set up but have run into these issues I've described during the troubleshooting process
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m talking about a source that is 5.1 channels for example .

What happens with the other 6 channels ???

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but I`m also getting brain dead here on this , gotta step out anyway

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood. I've done the same many times over the last couple of months
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You don`t have to reply to this .

If I`m not the one with the last word then my screen blinks with a message saying that a customer is waiting for me

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m back and Brad

When you first came here you were at the stage of figuring the denon which is done now then you had the wrong connection for what you were hoping to do and that is corrected now .

Now you are at the stage of configuring your sound and you are in your home , I`m not so this means that I cannot possibly go further , I don't have you ears and setup around me .

Wouldn`t you say that my job is done and now it would be time for you to compensate me for that time ?

Please use that rating system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still do not have the old Denon set up correctly as the external amp for the new Marantz.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brad and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • connect all the speakers intended for the Marantz SR-7010;
  • RESET the Marantz SR-7010;
  • • run the Marantz SR-7010 in FM mode to check that all of its connected speakers are working;
  • • connect all the speakers intended for the Denon AVR-3806;
  • RESET the Denon AVR-3806;
  • • run the Denon AVR-3806 in FM mode to check that all of its connected speakers are working;
  • • connect again a source to the Denon such as your phone using a 3.5mm to 2 x RCA plugs to the Denon's CD jacks;
  • • run the Denon AVR-3806 in CD mode and check that all of its connected speakers are working;
  • • replace the 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable with an RCA-to-RCA cable;
  • • using this RCA-to-RCA cable, connect the Denon's CD jacks to the preferred PRE OUT jacks of the Marantz SR-7010;
  • • with the Denon still in CD mode, run the Marantz to your preferred source;
  • check that all of the connected speakers to both the Denon and the Marantz are working