Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Rx-v663 and speakercraft bb835 Zone 2 some sound with max

Customer Question

Rx-v663 and speakercraft bb835
Zone 2 some sound with max volume. All remote speakers the same.
Main system ok on all inputs. Zone 2 greatly reduced volume with all inputs
Only zone 2 problems.
Xp assign set to zone 2.
Worked couple of days ago, but I have been messing with it and very likely I caused the problem.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Your Zone 2 outputs (powered) on the Yamaha can only support 1 pair of 8 ohm speakers safely, so if you have multiple sets wired to these, then it's likely you blew the outputs.

However, if you're referring to powered zone 2 (pre-outs), then you have another amp.

Please tell me everything you have in your system and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
zone 2 output is connected to Speaker craft bb835 Amp and then this output to multiple volume controls Has been working well for 5 years until I "enhanced" it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well since there's an amp- then yes it would have worked well, I can only go based off what you post here. So, we need to conclude WHICH (the Yamaha or the Amp) is the root cause of the problem. Please connect a line level source like a Smart phone, Ipod, or even a Cable Box, via RCA red and white directly to the Amp's INPUTS and tell me if the volume is normal please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call right now. If you'd like to continue, please reply back on this page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No phone is fine i will make the connection and be back with u
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay that sounds good. Once we know if the amp by itself is producing sound at normal levels, then we will know how to proceed. Let me know please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, connected record output from v663 to speaker craft bb835 and it worked very well
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay good test. This means there is a something in the Yamaha preventing the Zone 2 output. Please unplug the receiver from power (shut off the amp first), for 10 seconds, then plug it back in.

Click on the manual below and scroll to page "119". Then follow the instructions for "Resetting the System" and go ahead and set the unit back up and let me know if Zone 2 works:

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/content/yamaha/rx-v663-uman.pdf

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not reset it yet Am working on it Few more minutes
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good. We're not credited until we're rated, so I wanted to follow up. Simply reply back when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now no sound! Did notice a screen of "volume fixed" while turning it on
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Those steps above put the receiver back to shipping condition- meaning the same as when you opened the box up when it was brand new. Run through the setup of the unit again (I posted the manual for you above), and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if the receiver was setting up normally or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On page 44
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change Still limited volume
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YOU STILL WITH ME ARIC????
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's try going back to the basics and set up the Yamaha to work with Zone 2 as a standalone unit first. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • temporarily connect a pair of speakers to the R EXTRA SP L terminals;
  • • set up Zone 2 on the RX-V663 using the Internal Power Amp:
  • - press the AMP Button;
  • - press the Set Menu Button;
  • - arrow down to Manual Setup;
  • - press the Enter button;
  • - arrow to the Basic Menu option;
  • - press Enter;
  • - in the Basic Menu arrow to Speaker Set;
  • - press Enter;
  • - arrow to the Extra SP Assign;
  • - select ZONE2;
  • - press the Return button to exit out and return to the Manual Setup.