Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Rx-v663 and speakercraft bb835 Zone 2 some sound with max…

Customer Question
Rx-v663 and speakercraft bb835 Zone 2...
Rx-v663 and speakercraft bb835
Zone 2 some sound with max volume. All remote speakers the same.
Main system ok on all inputs. Zone 2 greatly reduced volume with all inputs
Only zone 2 problems.
Xp assign set to zone 2.
Worked couple of days ago, but I have been messing with it and very likely I caused the problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Your Zone 2 outputs (powered) on the Yamaha can only support 1 pair of 8 ohm speakers safely, so if you have multiple sets wired to these, then it's likely you blew the outputs.

However, if you're referring to powered zone 2 (pre-outs), then you have another amp.

Please tell me everything you have in your system and we can proceed.

zone 2 output is connected to Speaker craft bb835 Amp and then this output to multiple volume controls Has been working well for 5 years until I "enhanced" it

Okay, well since there's an amp- then yes it would have worked well, I can only go based off what you post here. So, we need to conclude WHICH (the Yamaha or the Amp) is the root cause of the problem. Please connect a line level source like a Smart phone, Ipod, or even a Cable Box, via RCA red and white directly to the Amp's INPUTS and tell me if the volume is normal please.

No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call right now. If you'd like to continue, please reply back on this page.

No phone is fine i will make the connection and be back with u

Okay that sounds good. Once we know if the amp by itself is producing sound at normal levels, then we will know how to proceed. Let me know please.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Ok, connected record output from v663 to speaker craft bb835 and it worked very well

Okay good test. This means there is a something in the Yamaha preventing the Zone 2 output. Please unplug the receiver from power (shut off the amp first), for 10 seconds, then plug it back in.

Click on the manual below and scroll to page "119". Then follow the instructions for "Resetting the System" and go ahead and set the unit back up and let me know if Zone 2 works:

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/content/yamaha/rx-v663-uman.pdf

Do you need further assistance with this?

Have not reset it yet Am working on it Few more minutes

Okay sounds good. We're not credited until we're rated, so I wanted to follow up. Simply reply back when able.

Now no sound! Did notice a screen of "volume fixed" while turning it on

Those steps above put the receiver back to shipping condition- meaning the same as when you opened the box up when it was brand new. Run through the setup of the unit again (I posted the manual for you above), and let me know what happens.

Ok

Okay.

I just wanted to follow up and see if the receiver was setting up normally or not?

On page 44

Okay sounds good.

No change Still limited volume
Electronics Technician: John Peeler, Owner/Installer replied 2 years ago
John Peeler
John Peeler, Owner/Installer
Phone call session started
YOU STILL WITH ME ARIC????
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's try going back to the basics and set up the Yamaha to work with Zone 2 as a standalone unit first. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • temporarily connect a pair of speakers to the R EXTRA SP L terminals;
  • • set up Zone 2 on the RX-V663 using the Internal Power Amp:
  • - press the AMP Button;
  • - press the Set Menu Button;
  • - arrow down to Manual Setup;
  • - press the Enter button;
  • - arrow to the Basic Menu option;
  • - press Enter;
  • - in the Basic Menu arrow to Speaker Set;
  • - press Enter;
  • - arrow to the Extra SP Assign;
  • - select ZONE2;
  • - press the Return button to exit out and return to the Manual Setup.