Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Panasonic FZ50 which has given me very good service

Customer Question
for many years. I have...
I have a Panasonic FZ50 which has given me very good service for many years. I have noticed recently a problem when I copy photos to make copies for me. The camera gives me very good images but they are squashed/stretched horizontally about 5%. I can correct them with software, but am wondering if there is something wrong with the camera or CCD sensor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/5/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell A., Technician replied 1 year ago
Russell A.
Russell A., Technician

To which aspect ratio is the camera set?

When you "copy photos to make copies" are you talking about prints or just displaying them on a computer or TV screen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The aspect ration is 4:3 and I am copying photos from a computer screen in order to process them. The camera used to do this with no problem, but now it stretches the photos about 5% at the sensor - the view in the viewfinder/LCD is normal, so it appears to be something off in the recording of the image on the CCD and onto the SD card.

What photo software are you using to display the original photo file from the camera?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Microsoft Picture Manager. That's all I have since I do not do much photography - these are pictures I copy to publish in magazine articles.

To be totally honest, I have never seen this issue, so I have no suggestions. I will "opt out" in case someone else has a reasonable solution.

Electronics Technician: Martin, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Martin, Engineer

Can you take me a sample picture and share it with me so i can see what may be wrong with the picture. The picture must come directly of the camera without being processed in any computer software.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.