Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I am trying to set up a test cell to test the ampacity of a…

Customer Question
I am trying to set...
I am trying to set up a test cell to test the ampacity of a new idea for a butt wire connector before I send it off the UL for testing. Need to get 275 amps. Someone did some testing for use using a 10000KA toroid and they used a variac system to adjust the voltage to get the right amps. It worked great, but they don't do it anymore and won't tell me how they did it. Have photos of what they did but incomplete. But can't find anyone to tell me if I need a load bank in the circuit to create the load and where to connect the other end of the 2/0 cable connect to. I was thinking of getting a huge arc welding power supply and a load band, then I could dial in the amps what I want, and but the toroid was used before and didn't know what would be the best way.
please help me.
Larry Zirker
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/4/2016
Electronics Technician: Martin, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Martin, Engineer

Hi. Once testing electric palnel for industrial machine i needed to perform high voltage testing similar to this. It involved a special DC high voltage (2000V) probe. In your case, 275A does not tell much if we don't know at what voltage.

I am very sorry to have bothered you. As I now notice, you folks are TV engineers, and not industrial engineers and the answer you gave, indicates you don't know what I am talking about, nor do you have the knowledge to help me. Please no further contact is needed. It is my fault to have asked.

I sure am an "industrial" engineer. I don't see why you think i don't know what you want to test. The problem is that you talk of an amps test without mentioning anything about your connector. Perhaps if i was having its impedance it would help me better to advise you. Personally i like capacitors bank do make current testing as they can produce more than battery, but it may not work for all test (especially if you want a sustained amps to see a thermal reaction and in such case simple AC ). A down voltage transformer with a 9 ratio will be able to give you 275A from a 30A circuit (at 13V AC). You have to calculate the load resistance accordingly to not trip the breakers and you need proper wire size and resistance dissipation size (as i assume the connector is almost negligeable resistance internally).

Thanx, you have given me enough to solve my problem

Glad to hear that, and don't forget to rate me. If you ever still need me about this particular problem , don't hesitate to ask.