Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My Bose radio won't play CD's most of the time. If I open

Customer Question
My Bose radio won't play...
My Bose radio won't play CD's most of the time. If I open the top to put in a CD, and wiggle the circular mechanism, it sometimes play, on certain CDs but more often it will say "disc" and keep flashing. Radio works. I keep trying different CDs and some work but most wont.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/26/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or the disc drive mechanism needs to be replaced.

Follow the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.

You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.

If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at PC or AV retailers). Open the CD cover, then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.

If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself, by using isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "eye". Then use a dry spot on the cloth to buff the eye clean.

If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced- which is on average a $150 repair.

In this case you would need to contact Bose Service, as they are the only ones that repair their systems:

BOSE:
For assistance with your product, please call us toll-free at 1-***-***-****. For help with our aviation headsets, call 1-***-***-****.
For the best possible service, please have your product nearby when you call. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 8 PM ET
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Let me know if you need further help once you're able to see my reply.

Aric, Technician