Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I've reviewed questitos and answers regarding the Tascam…

Customer Question
Hey Jim - I've reviewed questitos...
Hey Jim -
I've reviewed questitos and answers regarding the Tascam DP-800.
Maybe I need a "Home Recording for Dummies" book. I have good mixes on the device, but can't seem to get them into an MP3 (or similar) format. My computer doesn't acknowledge the divice, and the Tascam is just stuck on "creating song." HELP!?!?!?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/26/2016
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If not, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've provided. You can always reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll be happy to continue helping.

If you've gotten that far, you are past the "dummies" book. There are a few basic steps - Create, Mixdown, and Master

Tascam DP-800

To create:

Press Menu

Use the wheel to highlight SONG

Press F4 to open the SONG menu

Use the wheel to highlight CREATE

Press F4 to open the CREATE screen

You will see the default name of the song - you can change that or leave it

Press F2 to Create.

Then go through the steps to create the tracks - you must have a master stereo track to then MASTER.

When the recorder is stopped, press BOUNCE/MIXDOWN/MASTER

Select MASTERING

Preee F3 for Auto

Press F1 to set type

Press F2 to listen to playback

Press F3 to Execute.

Then to export to a computer, go to IMPORT/EXPORT and then EXPORT MASTER.

EXEC to execute. It will create standard WAV files for export.

Thanks so far ... Sorry in advance for the long response.I've been able to create a multi-track recording. What I can't do is create a WAV file. Here's what I have on the unit:There is no "BOUNCE/MIXDOWN/MASTER" button. However, if I choose "Record Mode" it takes me to a screen with four options. They are:Bounce
Multitrack
Master Rec
Master MixIf I choose either the "Master Rec" or "Master Mix" option, I get a message that says "Track Too Short." I can choose "Bounce," But that's not what I want to do; unless it is it a necessary step in this process?Here's the deal - I have a several multi-track recordings that require "tweaking" (primarily volume changes) and fade outs during songs, which I why I want to "master" them ... Is that possible with this unit? As I think I said in my origiinal question, the first time I connected the unit to my computer all of my data (songs) disappeared ... Hours worth of work; rather frustrating as you might imagine. If I could connect the device to my computer and master then ("tweak" and fade) directly to the WAV file I'd be fine ...

I've been able to create a multi-track recording. What I can't do is create a WAV file

That's what I gathered from the original question.

All you should have to do after creating the recording is go to IMPORT/EXPORT then EXPORT MASTER and Execute. Are you not getting to that menu?

Thanks for taking the time to reply again.I'm not getting that exact menu - I described in my previous response the menu I'm getting and that when I choose "master" it says "track too short."
No ideas?
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer