Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Garmin nuvi 200w and reason it has started blowing…

Customer Question
I have a Garmin nuvi...
I have a Garmin nuvi 200w and for whatever reason it has started blowing fuses. It has been in use in the same type vehicle for a while and I have used other devices in the same 12 volt receptacle with no problems?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/20/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) Is the fuse in the vehicle blowing out, or the fuse in the power adapter?
2) Have you tried the device in a DIFFERENT power socket or different vehicle?

3) Is this the ORIGINAL vehicle power adapter that is in use?

Thanks

The fuse in the power adapterYesYes

Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask if you have tried replacing the fuse, then connecting the adapter to the power socket (without connecting to the device) - and THEN check the fuse again?

This will tell us if the DEVICE is causing the issue OR the "cable" between the adapter and the device.

Thanks

OK - what were the results?

That is, did the fuse blow:

1) WITHOUT attaching to the Nuvi or

2) ONLY when attached to the Nuvi?

When attached to the nuvi

OK - one more question:

Does the fuse blow "instantly" - when the device is connected

- OR -

Does the device "work" for a time, and then the fuse blows (and power goes off)?

Instantly when connected.

Hi again and thanks for that.

OK _ what that tells us is that the device has a possible short in the power connector itself OR an internal component is drawing way too much power when connected.

Unfortunately there are very limited options for "repair" of the device at a reasonable cost, mostly because of the AGE of the device (it was "discontinued").

So may I ask how often this device is used AND if any investment has been made into this unit - such as purchasing updated maps recently?

I only ask so I will know if it might be better to TRY and have the device repaired.

Thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** if it is worth the cost of repair. I believe I will just plan on purchasing a new Garmin.

In most cases, if you have NOT purchased updated maps recently (or "lifetime maps"), - OR - don't use the device on a daily basis, then the cost (and time) of repair is usually more than simply replacing the unit with a newer model.

If you would like to take a look at what is available as a replacement model these days, I have a link to Amazon where I searched for "Nuvi LM" (models that comes with "Lifetime Map" updates) below.

Nuvi LM Search --> Click Here

If you see something you like, you may want to check the local stores (computer, electronics, etc.) and see if they have something similar at about the same cost.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)