Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Electronic lock stopped working. It buzzes after the combo…

Customer Question
Electronic lock stopped working....
Electronic lock stopped working. It buzzes after the combo is entered but will not unlock.
I have a MSW3517 model.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/17/2016
Electronics Technician: SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS replied 2 years ago
SpecialistMichael

Hi Billie, your issue has been passed to me. My name is ***** ***** resident safe specialist here on JustAnswer.

Can you tell me the last time you were able to successfully open the safe?

Last week sometime.

Do you have the safe near you?

We can begin working on some of the common issues that can seemingly randomly happen to these safes

No, thanks

Alright, how would you like me to assist you today?

Ihave the safe right here. The no thanks was to the "call me". Let's try something
Still here waiting for some guidance before I take the sledge hammer to this piece of ****
Impatience is setting in. do you have some options for me to try? If not, stop the charge to my credit card because I'm not happy yet and i will never buy another sentry safe. Some response would be appreciated.

My apologies, I mistook the "no thanks" as a declination of assistance.

I will do my best to make you happy. Read this entirely first, there is an order that is best followed.

My first suggestion, which is very likely occurring is that the door itself or the seal is physically just stuck to the frame. I need you to perhaps some inward pressure on the door(as if to close it tighter) then enter in your combination code. Reason for this is sometimes the door seals can expand and prevent the locking mechanism from disengaging.

Before doing these steps, try taking a rubber mallet, and tapping with moderate force around the outside of the edges a few times. Then follow the aforementioned steps.

Sometimes, you may need assistance from another person. When you apply inward pressure to the door and enter the code, you should get the associated "correct" sound you are used to hearing, now you can depress the handle - now at this point if the door is tough to open a thin pry bar in the edge may provide a bit of assistance.

So short cliffs notes version of this common issue resolution is as follows:

Rubbet mallet around the door edge a few times(be careful of the combo pad)
Inward pressure(a knee while kneeling, or a second set of hands)
Enter code while pressing in on door, when beep alerts you, handle should depress.

Report back to me with your results. And you may need to try this a couple of times, slight changes in moisture in the air and even mild temperature changes can cause this - its common.

Nope. Didn't work. My husband was helping me. After the code is entered I hear a buzzing sound, not the usually sound when it unlocks.
The lock is simply not disengaging.

Are you absolutely certain the batteries(alkaline recommended) are being used and are fresh?

The buzzing noise, while I can't hear it is likely and indication that power is reaching the solenoid.

Try a bit more striking on the face of the door. Perhaps directing the force down a 2x4 with the mallet. The actuators often get stuck.

Batteries are fresh. It appears to be an electronic problem because the lock will not disengage. I'm giving up. Your site said satisfaction guaranteed or $$ back. Looks like $$ back.
Maybe I'll sell whacks at it and raise $$ for charity.