Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My shredder quit working properly-it works in reverse when i…

Customer Question
my shredder quit working properly-it...
my shredder quit working properly-it works in reverse when i use the switch, but it won't shred this way-4 days ago it would work forward when i would tap it lightly on the side by the switch my email is **********@*****.com thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/16/2016
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

These are not really user servicable but there is something you can try to fix it. Put into the shredder blades from the top a generous amount of shredder oil - olive oil will work in a pinch. The idea is to let the shredder oil soak into and break down any small pieces of paper that might be stuck in the blades while, at the same time, lubricating the blades to move easily against each other. Apply the oil a couple of times a day for a few days.