Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

PANASONIC TELEPHONE AND FAX Model KFX-750 IS THERE A FUSE…

Customer Question
PANASONIC TELEPHONE AND FAX Model...
PANASONIC TELEPHONE AND FAX Model KFX-750
IS THERE A FUSE ACCESSIBLE TO CHECK? MACHINE HAS NO POWER
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/15/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2005 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life. At this point the fax is well over 3 times its designed maximum life and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the stop/cancel button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 (all in one printer, as low as $40 for a fax only unit) you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.