Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Cannot open safe, I replaced batteries and entered the

Customer Question
factory code and keeping getting...
Cannot open safe, I replaced batteries and entered the factory code and keeping getting err message
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/14/2016
Electronics Technician: educatortech,
 replied 2 years ago
educatortech

The first step in this is to ensure that the batteries are fresh. You would not believe how many times that it the issue as, if the batteries are low, then the safe will not have enough power to move the metal bars in the safe to release. It is often not unusual for the low battery alert to not show, especially if a non-lithium battery is being used.

I always recommend that you use lithium batteries (as opposed to alkaline) as they are made for electronics and keep their constant charge till the end. Alkaline batteries lose power over time and, even though they may show they still have power, are weaker than needed.

If you have a round combination area, turn from the 12pm to 2pm position and remove the front of the battery area. Replace the batteries then replace the cover by turning from the 2 pm to 12 pm position. Try to open again as normal.

If you have a rectangular area, use a pen tip or a paperclip to push in on the button in the lower rectangular area. While pushing it in, slide off the front cover to expose the batteries. Replace the batteries and then replace the cover. Try again to open.

Reply back if you have any issue or it does not solve your problem. If this gets the safe open for you, be sure to rate/submit my response when satisfied so that I receive credit for my help today.

:-)

Doesn't solve problem
Electronics Technician: educatortech,
 replied 2 years ago

what is the make and model of the safe? Are you using a user created combination or the one that came with the safe? When was the last time it opened correctly?

Sentry 3831, using factory code, Janet opened in over a year
Electronics Technician: educatortech,
 replied 2 years ago

Typically Error code on this safe means one of the following

(Error) indicates one of the following:
1. You have pressed Program key out of sequence.
2. You have entered an invalid code.
3. You have let 5 seconds or more elapse between
key presses.
4. You have pressed a key while in delay mode.
(Program) Lights after pressing the Program
key and stays lit while programming a manager or
user code.

To unlock safe:
Enter the 5-digit factory code, a pre-programmed
manager code, or a pre-programmed user code
(programming instructions to follow), then press
the Prog/Enter key. When the unlocked padlock
icon appears, you have four seconds to turn
the handle down to open.

Are you 100% sure that the code you are using is the factory code that is on the original user manual from the safe?