Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I want to repair an RCA Victor RHC49S. What is the best way…

Customer Question
I want to repair an...
I want to repair an RCA Victor RHC49S. What is the best way forward?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/14/2016
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Joel and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • visual for physical condition of the parts inside particularly the:
  • - speaker;
  • - capacitors including C406, C404 and C402; and
  • - transformers T1 (main power) and T401 driver.
  • • determine electrical condition; i.e is it completely/electrically dead or will it power on but there is no sound or is there sound but crackling, others.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a iron?

Additionally, please post back with clear closeup pictures of the insides of the RHC-49S. Click HERE.

I get power. I can faintly hear broadcasts but the volume control doesn't seem to change the volume. There is a continuous hum sound. What causes crackling sound when adjusting the volume or the tuner?
I have pictures but I don't know how to attach them.

Hi again Joel,

For:

• volume control doesn't seem to change the volume - consider using compressed air or better yet, CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent to clean the insides of the volume control but allow sufficient drying time;
  • continuous hum sound - as posted before, check the capacitors including C406, C404 and C402;
  • crackling sound when adjusting the volume - clean the insides of the volume control;
  • pictures but I don't know how to attach - Click HERE.
I sent pictures. Does this help you? Can you point out C406. C404 and C402?
IMG_6442.JPGIMG_6442.JPGIMG_6443.JPGIMG_6443.JPGIMG_6444.JPGIMG_6444.JPGIMG_6445.JPGIMG_6445.JPGIMG_6447.JPGIMG_6447.JPG

Appreciate the pictures.

Where:

• • C406 - 1500µF (biggest);
  • • C404 - 250µF (middle); and
  • • C402 - 100µF (off 1 corner near the speaker).