Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Need to at rid of old work-domain. 't remember Password.

Customer Question
Need to at rid of...
Need to at rid of old work-domain. Don't remember Password.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
tough book Was used for my old Job and I cant wipe it to use for my new job because it has old work domain and ask for password. I would just like to wipe it and start fresh.. There is nothing on it In worried about losing
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/13/2016
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hello Dare,

If it is not possible to connect to the old domain and there is no other administrator password ***** up on the Toughbook, then your only option is to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

First though you could try Safe Mode - press F8 right after the BIOS screen, sometimes no password ***** ***** and it will let you in that way; other than that, you will need to reinstall the OS.

I can get on the tough book but I can change anything do to the old work domain. I got rid of the domain name but it's asking for password ***** make changes I want to wipe it and start fresh but I need the password
they downgraded my FZ-G1 toughbook to windows 7 enterprise. How do I get it back to Windows 8?

To upgrade to Windows 8.1 (recommended version), use the Upgrade Assistant:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=261871

Okay so I can't get the free Windows 10 because my tough book was downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7 enterprise.

You can still get Windows 10 if that is the version you want - simply upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - it will pop up as a free option once you reinstall Windows 10 and install all of the Windows updates...

It tells me that Windows 7 enterprise won't upgrade for free.

Ok, I see that Windows 10 Enterprise can only be upgraded as part of volume user's existing Software Assurance benefits.

So if you need to use Windows 7 Enterprise then the upgrade won't be free.

If you have a different Windows license available from another computer that you don't use then you could transfer that one to the Toughbook and upgrade from it instead.

Shouldn't my toughbook have the Windows 8 license for me to install that back on it? If so how do I go about getting it back on there ?

How was it originally installed?

Do you have the install discs and license paperwork?

No. It was about a year ago and I can't find it. My wife thinks it was I the box the threw away.

Ok, then your options are more limited - to get Windows 10 you will need to pay for the upgrade from the Enterprise version.

Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things turn out for you?

Pete, Electronic Engineer