Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I was looking at the info a Lifesaver 1255 smoke alarm. yes,

Customer Question
i was looking at the...
i was looking at the info for replacing a Lifesaver 1255 smoke alarm. yes, it is old. can't stop it chirping
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: smoke detector chirping even after changing battery. since it is a model 1255 i think it is ancient. it plugs into the electrical outlet on the mount on the ceiling. I'm trying to just get a replacement without going through all kinds of new hardwiring
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
2/1/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Make sure the old detector isn't just signifying an objection to some impurities, a few specks of really fine dust, in the air around it.

Leave the battery out for a day or two (and unplugged.)

Make sure the battery you give it is genuinely OK - not cheap, not sat-on-shelf-for-many-months, etc. Or measure it under load to make sure it's OK.

Blow out the detector module inside it, with canned air that is free of microscopic impurities.

Then in an hour or so, put the new battery in again. Let it sit for a quarter hour or so before putting it back in the ceiling mount after plugging it in, to see if it chirps again.

If it persists... it's a good question what to replace it with. The battery may be backup, though, and the wires in the ceiling supposed to actually provide power. If either those wires are not providing power, or the wires to the battery are broken off, then it will chirp in protest.

And if there is dust accumulated on the cover over the detector, particles from that could be getting in the detector.

So clean the outer cover with a vacuum cleaner hose, and also check the wires from the ceiling for adequate voltage supplied. Those measures may cure the problem.

Replacement? either forget the wires in the ceiling, or else look for a replacement that

A. works, provably, not just Used junk

and

B. has an outlet or jack to match those wires in the ceiling.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Russell, I actually did look at your response last night. I did give it a might blast of air but no luck. I never got it to the ceiling mount cuz it just started chirping right away. the replacement batter, btw, is new. the wires in the ceiling may provide the power but still i don't think it should chirp when it is off the mount and a good battery is plugged in. the detector is quite old, however so I don't mind replacing it but with what?
Your point B is kind of what I was asking to begin with.I could not tell from photos what replacement would work with the kind of power source/plug that is there now.

I suspect that your type of smoke detector is so old that it has no replacement - they all run off nothing but the battery nowadays, I strongly suspect.

Is having a power/signal plug vital to you in any way, for your s. d. ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it is not essential to plug it in. just wanted the same model so that it would match the mounting. Now I'll have an empty mounting next to the new one. so be it.thank you for your help and responsiveness.

I think you can mount the new one right over the old electrical mounting. From what I've seen and what I know, the detector has the 'pins' on it, so you should be able to fit a non-wired detector on the same spot instead of leaving the peculiar-looking plug in the open - unsightly and, unless it is internally disconnected, quite possibly not safe. Or even, not 'to code'. (I'm admittedly not informed about any such code re such an 'outlet' for smoke detectors.)

If this completely answers your question and the case is done as far as you are concerned, please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

Russell H., Service Tech