Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

About a week ago, my Kindle seemed to go haywire. My

Customer Question
collections disappeared from the home...
About a week ago, my Kindle seemed to go haywire. My collections disappeared from the home page; when I finally found the books & samples that were on the Kindle, they were separated - no longer in the collections. Even though it shows that I still have the collections, I can't access them through the collections, and I can't seem to put the individual titles back into the collections. My Kindle is somewhere between 5 - 6 years old, and periodically I've had to completely shut it down & reboot it because it just froze up. I was under the impression that I couldn't possibly overload it, but it no longer functions as it should. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/29/2016
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Richard, Customer Service

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happens when you try to access a book via a collection?

Please let me know.

When I go to the "home screen", I should see all of my named collections , but I don't. In "All Items" under the heading "My Items", it shows 404 items on 58 pages; under "Books", it shows 342 titles on 49 pages; under "Audible, it shows 3 titles on 1 page; there is one item under "Docs"; and under "Active Content", it shows 38 items on 6 pages. There are no collections listed. If I press on a book title & ask to add it to a collection, it brings up the collection titles (with the correct collection checked), but it may go to a specific page in the book.
That may not seem like a big deal, but I have 15 collections including one just for samples. I had nearly all of my items cataloged & now I have to go looking for them on a great many pages. My collections have been built up over a period of time. and It would take quite a while to do it all again.
I'd like to know: a) whether there's a solution that doesn't involve such an extended process.
b) if recreating the collection titles is even possible (actually I tried to do that with a couple of them but was told the collections already exist & I'd have to use a different name)
c) how it happened in the first place & whether it could happen again
d) has this happened to anyone else, or is it an isolated occurrence on my machine?
e) what would happen if I were to buy a new Kindle; wouldn't the problem carry over?I think that just about sums up the situation. I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, but I've been helping my daughter & son-in-law with our new grandchild since our daughter is back to work, as well as dealing with my husband's surgery, radiation treatments, chemotherapy, doctor visits, MRIs, CAT scans, etc. for Stage IV cancer. While my Kindle situation is important to me, you can see why it's not my first priority right now and why spending a large amount of time dealing with the issue is difficult right now. However, I do like to read for relaxation & enjoy the solitaire & word games I've purchased.
Thanks for any assistance or solution you can provide.