Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Is it easy to replace the tube, not the 6146 but the single…

Customer Question
Is it easy to...

Is it easy to replace the tube, not the 6146 but the single tube in the Kenwood ts-520

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm just starting to replace parts this rig is 40 years old, everything seems to be working though

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/26/2016
Electronics Technician: Rod, Systems Engineer replied 2 years ago
Rod, Systems Engineer

Hi -

I'm Rod and I will be happy to help you with this. Is this a 520 or a 520S? There is a little difference. Replacing the tubes is not hard; however, if the unit is functioning - there would be no need to replace them at this time.

Thanks,

It is the 520 and the 12by7a

Hi -

As I mentioned - it is not difficult to replace the tubes. If you do need to replace them. You must remember to neutralize the finals when you replace those.

Do you have a copy of the service manual? I can provide you with an electronic photo copy if you desire.

If it is properly working - I do not recommend replacing anything.

Thanks,

but do you have to neutralize the finals on the one tube on the drive?

Hi -

I see you just want to replace the driver - low power output?

You do not have to neutralize the output tubes if you are not replacing them. When pulling the tube out - grasp by the base and gently wiggle while pulling up.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Is there any alignment or does it go in only one way?

Hi - there is an alignment but it is by the tube pins. If you look at the base, there is a gap between the pins. That is how you align to socket.

Thanks,

rod