Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I used my garmin nuvi52lm yesterday and it worked fine Today…

Customer Question
I used my garmin nuvi52lm...
I used my garmin nuvi52lm yesterday and it worked fine
Today it started off ok used it once and left in car it got really cold but tried using it and it wouldn't turn on, I thought the battery got to cold so I put it in my coat pocket to warm it up
When I plugged it back in it still wouldn't turn on and the battery started getting really hot
I brought it home after letting it cool down again I plugged it into my PC it wouldn't show up in garmin express and the battery got hot again
Is there something I need to do or is it junk I have had this only a year now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/23/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) How cold is "really cold"?
2) How long was the device left in the "really cold" car?
3) When you say you have hand the device "only a year now", do you know the exact date of purchase (or gift to you)?

Thanks

ok the temp was between 28 to 30 degrees
and I found out my wife had left it in the car over night

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

May I also ask:

I only ask because you MAY be able to have the device repaired under the 1 year warranty that comes with all new Garmin devices. And you may be able to have this even if you are "slightly over" that one year period.

Let me give you a link to the "repair page" of the Garmin site, where you can select the Warranty link to see about having this device repaired within the warranty period.

Click here --> http://www8.garmin.com/support/repair.jsp

NOTE: There is also an "Out of Warranty" link on that page, so if you want to check the "flat rate fee" for out of warranty repairs, just select that link and then select your device model from the pull-down list. I checked on that unit and see they have a rate of $89 right now.

I also have the Garmin Customer Support contact information below, including the hours they work. I always recommend that you CALL them and actually speak to a human, and ask what they can do for you.

Garmin Customer Support
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM-6 PM,
Friday 8 AM-5 PM Central Time
(closed holidays)

Phone:
U.S.: 1(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####br />Canada: 1(###) ###-####/p>

With all that said, I SUSPECT that the battery got very cold overnight, and was not "thawed out" enough for it to charge properly. This MAY have damaged the battery (getting HOT is not good).

Another note about Garmin repairs: ALL repaired unit come with a 90 day warranty, so you will have plenty of time to TEST any returned unit.

I also did some checking and see that the Nuvi 52LM has been "discontinued" (no longer made), so I checked online for a more current replacement model. I found that the Nuvi 55LM is the closest unit to the 52, and found it on Amazon for about the same cost as repairing your device. I have a link to those search results below.

Nuvi 55LM search results (Amazon)
Click Here --> http://amzn.to/1ScbvQq

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

I had checked and I had gotten it on July 31 so its about 6 months old now so looks like I can still use the warranty

Very good.

Then you should be able to get the repair under the warranty period.

So I would recommend that you see if you can start the process at the Warranty repair page, and then follow up with a phone call when the customer support folks are available.

About the only other method I would recommend is IF you live anywhere within easy driving distance of the repair center - near Kansas City, KS. There is a "walk-in" service center there, and would save on shipping time.

Please let me know your results - when you can.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)