Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a harmon kardon 450 stereo which is about 25 yr. old.

Customer Question
I have a harmon...
I have a harmon kardon 450 stereo which is about 25 yr. old. The am stations are not coming in well; they have static. Some are reasonably good. It is our local station that I am concerned with. Our Sony clock radio in out bedroom comes in great and it has a lengthy aerial and a circular plastic frame for it The fm stations are good on the hk. I am wondering if there would be an aerial available that I could fasten to it, one that has a circular shape to it.
A man in the stereo shop told me that might work, but I cannot find one anywhere. Right now there is a wire fastened to a screw at the am connection. Another thing is that this unit is on a shelf (built in) and there is very limited room
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/21/2016
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello and than you for the question. Yes, what you're looking for is known as an "AM Loop Antenna" and they are somewhat rare to purchase, as most are included with new receiver purchases- but not generally for purchase otherwise.

However, there is a company that produces a premium AM loop antenna (Terk) which would allow the HK receiver to pull in at least as many (likely more) stations than the Sony clock radio.

This antenna is around $36 and can e purchased at the link below. It also connects to the AM antenna terminal on your HK receiver via the single wire hookup:

http://www.smarthome.com/terk-advantage-indoor-am-antenna.html?src=Froogle&gclid=CjwKEAiAoIK1BRCRiMqphvnlwlwSJAAOebPMcnNUoXnePK17_mDQ1sMCi5C9rROOxQOX1pSXp8ngUBoCy3_w_wcB

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.