Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I am trying to connect my Yamaha DGX-305 grand piano

Customer Question
keyboard into my computer (windows...
I am trying to connect my Yamaha DGX-305 grand piano keyboard into my computer (windows 7 professional) to connect with Playground Sessions. I have downloaded the windows 7 64 bit driver, rebooted, turned off keyboard, but regardless of the sequence I use Playground Sessions is displaying no keyboard when I go to File/configure MIDI keyboard. I have set the DGX-305 PC setting based upon the Owners Manual for the GX-305. I am using PC 1/local is off/External clock is on/Keyboard out, Style out, and Song out are all set to off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/20/2016
Electronics Technician: Rusty, Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service

Hello, my name is Rusty. Not all programs are compatible with all gear, and operating systems. The reason gets a bit complicated, but I want to start at the beginning and find out where the hang up is. Go to your control panel, do you see your midi controller there? Did you pay attention to the 32 bit vs 64 bit driver?

there is it is the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver (WDM)
I did, I downloaded the Windows 7 64 bit zip file
You still with me?

Ok, I'm seeing that you need service pack 1 in order for that driver to work. Click start, type SYSTEM INFO and press enter. Your version should say Service pack 1. If not, install it through Windows Update.

If it still doesn't work, bookmark this page, and reboot your computer with the keyboard plugged in. Sometimes the program won't pick up the driver when you open it, and rebooting gives it a fresh start.

An example of what I was talking about compatibility, I run Pro Tools 10 and Win7 64 bit. There is such a limited list of interfaces that I can choose from that work with both Windows 7, and PT 10. I had to be selective.

That being said, even if we cannot get the midi to work with the program, you can get a Roland UM-One midi interface. Those are compatible with EVERYTHING, they're compact, and they're fairly cheap. Click here.

It takes me a while to research and type, forgot to include the Um-One link, click here.

It SP1 and rebooting now

Standing by...

The reboot with the keyboard plugged in did not work. Playground Sessions is still not recognizing any keyboard Trying the Roland UM-One midi interface now. Will advise

Those things never fail. Be sure you get the right one for Windows 7. The MKII will work, but it may be unnecessary. The Roland should show up in PS midi settings.

Uh oh, stand by a few minutes... This just got a bit trickier to answer. Let me wrap my head around it.

Well, I'm looking at the specs of PS, and it doesn't look like it should have a problem. The FAQ says to unplug your keyboard, turn it off, plug it back in, turn it on, then start PS.

At this point I'm thinking it may be worth while to delete all instances of the 64 bit driver and try the 32 bit driver. It could have installed wrong, or it may not be compatible with PS. We're now limited to the USB connection, so let's pull out all the tricks.

Also, use a different USB cable, just for testing purposes.

I have followed those FAQs previously but will try now with a new UBS cable. Will advise.

They didn't mention using the 32 bit driver either. It's worth a shot, sometimes even installing drivers from a different version of Windows works.

The 32 bit would not load, deleted the 32 bit or the 64 bit and reinstalled the 64 bit driver with the new USB cable and Playground sessions still does not recognize the keyboard

I think we're finding that the keyboard just isn't compatible, much like how other programs are picky about their controllers. I want you to try something, click here. Try recording midi with that program. If it records midi, then there is nothing wrong with the driver installation or your keyboard, it's just not fully compatible with the software you're trying to use.

Disagree with keyboard not compatible, according to Yamaha the their DGX-305 keyboard should work with the Yamaha Playground Session interactive mode.
The keyboard records to a small memory card (like a camera's) so I am not sure I fully understand the request to record. Should what you are thinking still work given the memory card?
I will need to pick this up in the morning. Hopefully we will get this resolved.

It's to check the true compatibility with your computer, the cable and the keyboard. You can record midi to the program I showed you. It's not to record to the memory card, it's to see whether or not we're recording to the card, or to the computer.

Remove the card, and see if that makes a difference. It's ok, we can pick this up tomorrow. I'm on the West Coast.

Thanks Rusty will give that a go.

Any luck?

Rusty, I was on an extended weekend trip and as soon as I got back I had to leave for New York which is where I am know. I will not be able to try anything else on the keyboard until this weekend.

Ok, I'm here this weekend when you get to it.