Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My name is ***** *****. I have a Pandigital Photo Frame that

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a Pandigital Photo Frame that is not working properly. We had an electrical storm a few weeks ago, and we lost power. Now, when I turn the screen on, it just flashes quickly and the screen is all blue and says "system starting"
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We had an electrical storm a few weeks ago, and we lost power. Now, when I turn the screen on, it just flashes quickly and the screen is all blue and says "system starting"
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What you describe is a typical problem with system startup in an electronic device. Unfortunately, when that accompanies or follows an electrical storm and/or loss of power, it means the device has usually been damaged by surges on the power line during such events.

I presume that the frame was plugged into the wall outlet at the time of the storm and power failure, without a surge protector. A surge protector is an investment (for the protection of every electronic device of any value) that always pays off in the long run.

One thing to try, before concluding that the frame is 'broken', is to turn it Off, remove it from AC power, and also (if it has battery or batteries) to remove the battery or batteries from it as well. Then, leave it that way (in a severe case like this) for at least 2 days. Then try it again after such a 'rest-reset', and see if it has recovered at all. (I would say there is perhaps a 1 in 15 chance of there being some noticeable recovery of the device's functions by this means. So it is not hopeful but it can be tried.)