Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My DMR-EH57 began flashing "Please wait" when it was

Customer Question
activated. This continued for some...
My DMR-EH57 began flashing "Please wait" when it was activated. This continued for some time and I turned it off after a couple of minutes. After consulting the Manual I find that I should probably have left it for longer as there had been a power failure a few hours before, possibly while the unit was on. I now can not get any response from the unit. I have tried pressing the on button and holding it for more than 10 seconds. There remains no display at all now. Any suggestions?
Ron Ward
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/16/2016
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Ron and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, yes please; can you try leaving it unplugged for an extended period of time? ...even overnight?

And then plug back in but into another outlet?

The above would simulate a soft reset.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

These are the only easy user doable tries as all others would be internal to the Panasonic.

I left the unit unplugged from the power overnight (at least 8 hours) and then reconnected it to a different power point. The unit showed no sign of life at all. No dispaly on the unit. There is an indication that power is reaching the unit as I can see a red light flashing through a slight apperture at the back (quite difficult to observe). I have since realised that though I used a different power point, both points are linked. However, as there was no response at all I am doubtful that this would make any difference.
Am wondering if the internal battery in the unit has been compromised. The unit is used frequently over the 5-6 years since I have had it. But am not convinced that this would result in no display at all when connected to the power..
Regards ***** *****

Appreciate the update Ron.

Can you please try to unplug the DMR-EH57 for about 5 minutes, plug back in but do not attempt to turn on. Instead, press STOP, CH UP and OPEN/CLOSE together for about 5 seconds. Then attempt to turn on.

If not corrective, then the described symptom and results of what has been tried would almost always point to an internal hardware issue.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Also, I reviewed the repair/Service Manual and there is no internal battery on this model. And I agree; even if there is, then at most that it would result to would be memory loss.

Thanks for your advice. I suspect the problem is too much for me to handle. I will need to have a serviceman look at my whole home theatre as I can no longer view my cable TV, though it remains on and can change channels. Now I know there is no internal battery involved in the DVD recorder it has eliminated one explanation. Still Sunday here so will have to wait until tomorrow. Might be able to give you fed back on the final outcome; unless it is just my ignorance at the root of it all.
Regards ***** *****

Appreciate your kind understanding Ron.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

...and would look forward to an update when able.

Louie, Technician