Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

My charging cord no longer fits snuggly into my kindle. I

Customer Question

My charging cord no longer fits snuggly into my kindle. I bought a new cord, but it has the same problem, so I'm afraid that the problem is with the connection inside the kindle. What can I do?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. This happen often as they try to make them the cheaper possible. Worst, miniature port other than having no real advantage other than costing less to the manufacturer remove a lot of holding force on the circuit board because they are so tiny. As you mention the date, it is probably one of the Fire HD models (there is many model with the HD name) but here is a little video that show what happen with the original model (repair procedure is the same, the difference only being in the disassembly) that was released in 2011:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U4aaqnRpoo

Everyone now pretty much have places that repair phones in their town (not affiliated to carrier companies). Those can usually do that kind of repair. Here we have a place called Dr Phone to give you an idea of that kind of operation. They will solder it back proably better than it was originally. If you have a place that repair video game console and install mod chip they might also be able to do it. Most computer store are useless when it compe to solder anything.