Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

Why does my music files keep disappearing from my 7" Kindle

Customer Question
Fire. I am copying...
why does my music files keep disappearing from my 7" Kindle Fire. I am copying them from my PC to to an SD card. ScanDisk Ultra 128 GB micro.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/17/2015
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Richard, Customer Service

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me what type of music files these are? eg: Mp3, Wav, WMA? And where did they originally come from?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MP3 files transfered from my PC. They originally cames from several sources, but mostly ripped CDs

Thanks

when you connect the Kindle to the computer, open the file manager then open the Kindle or Fire folder that indicates the Kindle, then copy the music to the music folder (has to go to this folder).

then make sure to eject the Kindle(click on the Eject icon near the time on the bottom right)

Then open the music app on the Kindle and it should then see the music.

Let me know how you go please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does see the music. The music app does see the music the first time I use it (and sometimes more times), but eventually I will open the app and all the music has been erased. This seems to happen either with the Amazon music app or the MediaMonkey app (which I prefer). I have downloaded approx 4000 files and it is very frustrating to keep doing this on a trial and error basis.

ok, can be an issue with the SD card, can you put a different SD card and then check if it then dissapears after doing the transfer

Let me know the results please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have another SD card. The one I am using is brand new. I'll have to think about spending more money on another SD card just to test a theory.

I would advise then to borrow one to test this, else the next step is a reset of the Kindle if you do not wish to try a different SD card. Its not about testing out a theory, its eliminating the causes for this problem.

The reset will remove all data and return the Kindle to new, so backup any data you wish to keep first. Books you purchased you can download again as with Apps.

Then Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings. Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to FactoryDefaults. Tap Reset to confirm.

Then setup the Kindle and see if the music then remains.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have time to work on all this right now. How do I get back to you, or at least reference this conversation.

No problem, I have marked this question to never close, so you can return to this web address (press CTRL + D to add it to your favorites) and we can continue at any time.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service before leaving by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Customer Service